You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Needs automatic Guide Manager...or more options in Grid Manager

It would be useful to have an automatic row & column layout guide similar to "Create Guides" in InDesign. Quark also has this, although it's hard to find, and neither as versatile nor intuitive to use as that in ID. The current Guide Manager in Publisher requires you to manually compute all the spacing, then type in the parameters. But if I'm computing manually, I don't need a Grid Manager – I'll just drag and drop guides right on the pasteboard. Maybe I'm the only person in the galaxy who's constantly setting up layout grids on pages, but I use the InDesign implementation constantly, in Quark have to remind myself how to use it every time I do, and....well there is none (yet) in Publisher.

Now....at the moment I can force the Grid Manager to fill this role, but again, it requires considerable effort, and some computation. Also, the grids are only calibrated to page edges, there's no option to calibrate to page margins. (As there is in InDesign, though, I believe, not in Quark.)

2 minutes ago, Andrew Simpson said:

It would be useful to have an automatic row & column layout guide similar to "Create Guides" in InDesign. Quark also has this, although it's hard to find, and neither as versatile or intuitive to use as that in ID. The current Guide Manager in Publisher requires you to manually compute all the spacing, then type in the parameters. But if I'm computing manually, I don't need a Grid Manager – I'll just drag and drop guides right on the pasteboard. Maybe I'm the only person in the galaxy who's constantly setting up layout grids on pages, but I use the InDesign implementation constantly, in Quark have to remind myself how to use it every time I do, and....well there is none (yet) in Publisher.

Now....at the moment I can force the Grid Manager to fill this role, but again, it requires considerable effort, and some computation. Also, the grids are only calibrated to page edges, there's no option to calibrate to page margins. (As there is in InDesign, though, I believe, not in Quark.)

In Q it is pretty straight forward. Just use the Guides palette for either a grid or guides (the screen shot is for a grid, but the guides option is just below the one I have chosen). The little 3 dots int he upper right of the Guides Palette is how to access them...its a small version of a hamburger menu.

capture-002231.thumb.png.e7959c1fbccfbc75011ed0247e8ef1ba.png

50 minutes ago, Andrew Simpson said:

I think the Grid Manager is the place to go. I agree, it is not there yet. But it should be possible to enhance the options by what is missing.
Currently I miss the option to offset the axes and - as you point out - to assign to certain page areas (as edges or margins).

There is already the possibility to save and manage presets :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 3 weeks later...