You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

divide text question

Hey everyone,

Not sure of correct phraseology - so bear with me. I create a word; Hope.

I convert to curves.

I click to divide. 

It works to divide, however, any "circled" part of the word gets filled with the fill color. Please see the example.

I've tried several different fonts with same issue - cursive is even worse as all the loops are filled as well. What am I doing wrong? thanks in advance!

1402848665_dividetextissue.thumb.png.4c76618ea92437e458ac2f99aac4b7e7.png

You’re not doing any wrong. The counters (holes) in a glyph are created by subtracting a smaller shape from a larger one, and the ‘Divide’ operation separates out the component shapes.

I’m not sure what you hoped(!) to achieve by dividing the converted text, but one way to fix the problem is simply to select the overlapping pairs of shapes and ‘Combine’ or ‘Subtract’ them.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi, graf,

That is how divide works when there is one vector inside another. Each becomes its own solid shape. You then have to select each pair, and subtract the inner from the outer.

A slightly easier method is to create the text, set the fill to none, and make a stroke set to inside thick enough to fill the shape. Convert the letters to curves, ungroup, and use command expand curve.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

2 minutes ago, gdenby said:

A slightly easier method is to create the text, set the fill to none, and make a stroke set to inside thick enough to fill the shape. Convert the letters to curves, ungroup, and use command expand curve.

That’s an interesting alternative, Greg, but with the current poor behaviour of ‘Expand Stroke’ when applied to small objects I’m not sure that it’s actually easier!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks so much. Now that I know I'm not doing anything wrong, I'll try to adapt a workaround.

As for what I'm trying to accomplish - I need SVG files that will work with Cricut Design Space, which works best with "united" text elements. 

11 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

That’s an interesting alternative, Greg, but with the current poor behaviour of ‘Expand Stroke’ when applied to small objects I’m not sure that it’s actually easier!

I s'pose cursive fonts might generate too many nodes when expanded. But for simple text, works OK. First attachment, Text at 128 pt., 2nd, 12 pt. Pretty much the same using subtract, top character, or expand.

TwoMethods.thumb.jpg.ea4c18b005dd960635a3c20b5dd2103b.jpgTwoMethods2.jpg.50b9b140338582f13d52c9de29e84c69.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

38 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

You’re not doing any wrong. The counters (holes) in a glyph are created by subtracting a smaller shape from a larger one, and the ‘Divide’ operation separates out the component shapes.

I’m not sure what you hoped(!) to achieve by dividing the converted text, but one way to fix the problem is simply to select the overlapping pairs of shapes and ‘Combine’ or ‘Subtract’ them.

Works perfectly! Many thanks.