You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

EPUB export

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Makes sense and would be useful. - However, in the meantime just use one of the many PDF to EPUB converters. There are also a bunch of such free net based online converter services.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I also want to add to the crowd, I need to have both options: PDF and ebooks. Please consider having that feature on the Publisher soon. BTW, I love the app, I was looking for a good software to format books and let me tell you that I'm happy that I have found you.

I am not an expert and I am learning here a lot. I was reading another thread about the same topic but I lost it  o0. Thank you to the members that have given us the references to PDF to EPUB converters, I'll try them. 

Unfortunately, I ended up having to abandon Affinity Publisher because I really needed ePub for my next book which has embedded video. 

I ended up migrating my books to Apple's Pages app (free) to create both PDF and ePub formats. This was not an easy task for 500+ pages with over 1000 images. 

In a lot of ways, it's easier to use and put together. In some ways, it falls short. But all-in-all I'm happy with it and I can still produce beautiful books in multiple formats that my customers have been asking for.

• 2 weeks later...

My only use for InDesign is to create Epub versions of book for a small non-profit publisher. I was REALLY happy to find that Affinity Publisher can now open the IDML files that are the starting point for my work. 

But there is no support yet for epubs. :-((((

PLEASE, PLEASE, raise the importance of this requirement on your priority list. Without this, Affinity Publisher is no use to me and I have to continue to use  InDesign . I have not found any epub creator that does as good a job making epubs as InDesign does. 

You have done a wonderful job with other requests I've made for Affinity Photo, so I hope epub support will come in 2020. 

Thanks for all the great work with Affiity products. 

• 3 months later...
I just read this note from BooXtreme,  a Company that provides ebook services to publishers.
Ebook reading is going through the roof. Our server capacity was increased 6-fold last week and we’re currently handing multiple #ebook #watermarking transactions per second. Our customers are mainly publishers selling ebooks direct to consumer."
Not at all surprising in these very difficult times,  I am now creating 2 or 3 ebooks per week of existing titles for a small non-profit publisher.

I have been evaluating the purchase of Publisher. Notwithstanding the ability to use third party conversion services, it seems that Publisher is missing the mark by not having the ability to export to epub natively inside the app. And this has been a request for at least two years. A little disconcerting to say the least.

• 9 months later...

ePub export would be a great addition!  I have been using Affinity since launch, and Serif before that (version 6 I think is where I started).

I just started publishing on Amazon Kindle - prior to that I was using services that preferred PDF.

Other than this, WONDERFUL products (Affinity Publisher and Photo).

Yes, I have been waiting for this ever since Affinity Publisher was launched. I realise the scarcity of programming resources, but surely exporting to the epub3 format is not that demanding. 

I have NEVER used Afficnity Publisher even through I bought it when it first came out. Exporting to an Epub from is ALL I would ever use it for,

Yes I do know about other epub creating tools, but in every case, the source materials I am given are all InDesign documents. 

So the sooner we can have epub export, the happier I will be. 

Jim

http://js-ca.net

38 minutes ago, ostonica said:

but surely exporting to the epub3 format is not that demanding.

An epub file is basically a container in a ZIP format, containing CSS and HTML files. So exporting to EPUB is very different from anything done anywhere else in Affinity, as it requries the ability to generate HTML and CSS, which none of the Affinity applications do today.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

An epub file is basically a container in a ZIP format, containing CSS and HTML files. So exporting to EPUB is very different from anything done anywhere else in Affinity, as it requries the ability to generate HTML and CSS, which none of the Affinity applications do today.

True, but required HTML/CSS is relatively simple and need next to none version handling for different platforms.

1 hour ago, Fixx said:

True, but required HTML/CSS is relatively simple and need next to none version handling for different platforms.

precisely

I will even suggest to concentrate on epub 2.0 leaving version 3 for some future goal as almost all e-readers are 2.0 (millions of Kindle/Kobo devices)

Hiring authors of free epub software like Sigil editor or Calibre library/converter/editor will certainly speed up process of exporting HTML/CSS from simple text (epub 2 can't be complicated) 

12 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, of course,  but surely you are not saying that a pre-requisite for development of a feature is that it must be something that all Affinity applications use. 
And, as Fixx says " HTML/CSS is relatively simple and need next to none version handling for different platforms."

29 minutes ago, ostonica said:
Yes, of course,  but surely you are not saying that a pre-requisite for development of a feature is that it must be something that all Affinity applications use. 
And, as Fixx says " HTML/CSS is relatively simple and need next to none version handling for different platforms."

I am saying that as Affinity has no support for exporting HTML/CSS today, it is not as simple a matter as you suggest to provide the epub support. If they already had HTML/CSS support it would be less work (though still significant), but as they don't, providing HTML/CSS is a pre-requisite.

And yes, it is something that all the applications will need, as they have a common core set of functions and can operate on each others' files. The good part of that is that only a single implementation of the function will be needed and it will cover all 3 applications.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1