You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Bug Windows] Annoying way of changing inherited values

Hi,

I'm not sure if it's a bug or intended, but I find very annoying the fact I can't change inherited [No Change] value to 0.

By default the Base paragraph style has Space After of 12pt. Let's say I created a new paragraph style that bases on the Base. In order to change Space After of the new style to 0 I can't simply enter 0 because it is automatically changed to [No Change] value.

In order to get 0pt I have to enter 1pt and lower it using small arrows in the input box which is a bit annoying.

For me 0 should be treated as a meaningful value and an empty value should be changed to [No Change].

5 hours ago, SirPL said:

By default the Base paragraph style has Space After of 12pt. Let's say I created a new paragraph style that bases on the Base. In order to change Space After of the new style to 0 I can't simply enter 0 because it is automatically changed to [No Change] value.

Something's odd. My default Base style has Space After of 0. On another try, I see Base as having a Space After of 12 pt. Not sure what's going on.

But ignoring that, if I create a new paragraph style based on Base none of the Spacing settings for the new style shows as No Change. They all have values inherited from Base. And I can easily change them.

Actually, once I got it to show "[No Change]" so there is something inconsistent happening. But clicking in the box automatically changed it to 0pt and it saved correctly.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Please find a gif where I show my initial complaint, i.e.:

• Base has Space After of 12 pt (which actually is not a complaint)
  • I'm unable to change Space After of Body (which inherit from Base) to 0 pt with entering [0] and pressing [Enter]
  • I can't get it working with simply pressing [Enter] when 0 pt is visible
  • I can get it working when I enter 1 and lower the value

video.thumb.gif.2b7663bf6512eccd2bab900f7cab4bcf.gif

I think the Space after from Base is being carried over all the way to the based on, duplicated new style you are creating and also you are doing a 'duplicate' of Body instead of a 'based on' version. Goodness my head hurts.

This is, if not an actual bug, very counter-intuitive behaviour.

I love this sort of problem, I shall investigate further. 

Oh, I am on Mac and seeing very similar, if not the same, behaviour. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Duplicating the style makes the 'Space after' stick. Based on means I can change the Space after to anything, very very odd behaviour.  Still early but I think this is a bug, Will try some more testing later.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.