SirPL

[Bug Windows] Annoying way of changing inherited values

Hi,

I'm not sure if it's a bug or intended, but I find very annoying the fact I can't change inherited [No Change] value to 0.

By default the Base paragraph style has Space After of 12pt. Let's say I created a new paragraph style that bases on the Base. In order to change Space After of the new style to 0 I can't simply enter 0 because it is automatically changed to [No Change] value.

In order to get 0pt I have to enter 1pt and lower it using small arrows in the input box which is a bit annoying.

For me 0 should be treated as a meaningful value and an empty value should be changed to [No Change].

Hmm … I believe that does work correctly here.

• Click the [No Change] input. The value will change to 0 pt (or another default value)
  • Select the default value and enter 0
  • Press Return or Tab
  • Your change should be registered

Can you reproduce that? :)

It does even work without entering the value:

• Click the [No Change] input. The value will change to 0 pt (or another default value)
  • Make sure that the caret cursor is blinking inside
  • Press Return or Tab
  • Your change should be registered

Cheers, Alex :)

Doesn't work on Windows. Pressing enter with or without entering 0 does not cause the change being registered. So that's a clear bug of Windows UI.

Dear moderators, please move this thread to Affinity Publisher Beta / Bugs on Windows forum.

5 hours ago, SirPL said:

By default the Base paragraph style has Space After of 12pt. Let's say I created a new paragraph style that bases on the Base. In order to change Space After of the new style to 0 I can't simply enter 0 because it is automatically changed to [No Change] value.

Something's odd. My default Base style has Space After of 0. On another try, I see Base as having a Space After of 12 pt. Not sure what's going on.

But ignoring that, if I create a new paragraph style based on Base none of the Spacing settings for the new style shows as No Change. They all have values inherited from Base. And I can easily change them.

Actually, once I got it to show "[No Change]" so there is something inconsistent happening. But clicking in the box automatically changed it to 0pt and it saved correctly.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.145), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.1.404 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.1.404 and 1.7.1.404 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.1.399 Beta

Please find a gif where I show my initial complaint, i.e.:

• Base has Space After of 12 pt (which actually is not a complaint)
  • I'm unable to change Space After of Body (which inherit from Base) to 0 pt with entering [0] and pressing [Enter]
  • I can't get it working with simply pressing [Enter] when 0 pt is visible
  • I can get it working when I enter 1 and lower the value

video.thumb.gif.2b7663bf6512eccd2bab900f7cab4bcf.gif

I think the Space after from Base is being carried over all the way to the based on, duplicated new style you are creating and also you are doing a 'duplicate' of Body instead of a 'based on' version. Goodness my head hurts.

This is, if not an actual bug, very counter-intuitive behaviour.

I love this sort of problem, I shall investigate further. 

Oh, I am on Mac and seeing very similar, if not the same, behaviour. 

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.7.0 | Affinity Photo 1.7.0 | Affinity Publisher beta 1.7.0.384 | Affinity Photo beta 1.7.1.138 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.0.14

Duplicating the style makes the 'Space after' stick. Based on means I can change the Space after to anything, very very odd behaviour.  Still early but I think this is a bug, Will try some more testing later.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.7.0 | Affinity Photo 1.7.0 | Affinity Publisher beta 1.7.0.384 | Affinity Photo beta 1.7.1.138 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.0.14