You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Open Designer document including artboards

• Staff

When you open the .afdesign file, does it ask you is you want to "Make a Copy" or "Continue" ?  Please try "Make a copy" before you say yes to the convert artboards to spreads question. For us that does not crash, where "continue" and convert does crash. can you confirm please?

Note: "Make a Copy" opens this file as 'untitled' to make sure you do not overwrite the original 1.6 designer file. I would always recommend it during this beta

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
52 minutes ago, Huang888 said:

In this new publisher-document I can't change the document settings. I also can't add a new page. I only have one page so big to have all artboards inside.

Publisher (and soon designer) documents can be Artboard OR Spread, but not both, so no you cannot add new pages to a publisher document that has Artboards. This part is by design.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

At first (with the crash) I duplicated the designer-document before opening in publisher. So I don't selected copy before opening. I now uns "copy before open" - YEHHH it works. I selected artboards to spread and now the publisher document has pages.

Thanks

3 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Publisher (and soon designer) documents can be Artboard OR Spread, but not both, so no you cannot add new pages to a publisher document that has Artboards. This part is by design.

Will it be possible to convert a spread-based document to an artboard-based one?

Will Photo support these also?

• Staff
5 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Will it be possible to convert a spread-based document to an artboard-based one?

No this is a one way process AFAIK, and should only be used where artboards were being in 1.6 ADe files used because spreads were not available before.

5 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Will Photo support these also?

Affinity Photo 1.7.x and Affinity Designer 1.7.x will be able to open Affinity Publisher (spread based) files

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

2 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

No this is a one way process AFAIK, and should only be used where artboards were being in 1.6 ADe files used because spreads were not available before.

Will the ability to create spreads be available in AD version 1.7, or will it be restricted to understanding spreads created in APub?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

15 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Affinity Photo 1.7.x and Affinity Designer 1.7.x will be able to open Affinity Publisher (spread based) files

While I understand that in general, it might be nice to at least have the option to convert a single-page spread-based document to an artboard-based one in case someone accidentally created a spread-based document that was intended to be artboard-based and didn't realize it until after they started working on it?  Just a thought...

Interpreting this mix of messages to mean that as of 1.7.x Designer can also create spread-based files, but Photo can only work with those created elsewhere?  If Photo can also create them it might be interesting to build on this with something similar to Corel Painter's tracing paper / animation capabilities by treating each "page" of the document as a frame in a flipbook-style animation, allowing the previous page / "frame" to be seen behind the current one (tracing paper style) to draw that next frame...  wrong forum I know (different product), but just a thought that came up while thinking about this.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.