You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP (Windows 10) Mask Button NOT putting Mask on Selected Layer

Greetings,

Been doing a lot of tutorials using AP. I noted that one tutorial showed the presenter clicking the mask button at the bottom of the layer panel and the mask appearing on the selected layer (beside the square layer icon). There was also an expand arrow that appeared on the selected layer.

I thought this much be a MAC feature as the tuturial was using the MAC version, but now I just watched a Windows AP tutorial and the presenter does the same thing and the mask appears on the selected layer. SO it's not OS specific.

However, on my machine (Win 10) using 1.6.5.123 when I click the mask button, it puts the mask layer eithe at the top of the layer stack, or if a layer is selected then it puts it directly above that layer. I have to manually move it everytime?

My question is why doesn't mine work like the video??? (I have tried the modifier keys without success.)

Also, what is the difference between moving the mask so there is a long blue horizontal highlight underneath layer, and moving the mask so that there is a small blue vertical highlight beside the square layer image. (One nests the masks under the selected layer, the other puts it beside the square if the layer is collapsed.)

Thanks for the help.

Windows 10 Pro (Desktop). Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.9.2

• Staff

Hi Gradient_Phil,

Welcome to the forums :)

Using the quick mask icon at the bottom of the layers studio should add and clip that mask to the pixel layer selected automatically, as such -

a55aa18a43e7ceba4bbb2ed6cf9dd36e.gif

If this is not happening for you, could you confirm what object/layer type you're attempting to mask? If possible could you create a screen recording of this happening?

9 hours ago, Gradient_Phil said:

Also, what is the difference between moving the mask so there is a long blue horizontal highlight underneath layer, and moving the mask so that there is a small blue vertical highlight beside the square layer image. 

I recommend checking out the following thread, as user A_B_C demonstrates this eloquently.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for that, this is because the layer is an embedded image, not a rasterised pixel layer. If you right click on the layer and select Rasterise, you'll find that the mask behaves as expected! :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

In Assistant Manager, make sure "Add mask as child layer" is selected

mask2.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

13 hours ago, Dan C said:

...not a rasterised pixel layer... :)

Thanks Dan....whatever this means. Looks like I've got even more stuff to suss.

Please be gentle. I've come from using MS Photodraw (V2) for the last 17 years - did everything I wanted. Got a lot of new stuff to learn - made more difficult by the fact I"m not a professional at this - just long-toothed and trying to keep the old brain active :)

Just gave this a go with an imported image - rasterised it from the right click menu and the mask button hasn't changed - still puts the mask above the layer - selected or not!

Edit: Carl123's suggestion sorted it out. Seems the assistant manager was un-checked and once I checked it, everything was back to working as it was.

Question: Now that its working again, when I add a mask to the layer, it expands the layer to show the mask underneath it. In both tutorials I watched this never happened and the layer stayed collapsed (perhaps they were using an older version of the software). Is this the expected action??

Edit: Okay...found my own answer..."show selection in layers panel" was checked in preferences under "User Interface" Now it operates as per the videos I saw. Thanks for the help. Now I'm off to learn about the masking/clipping thingee :/

12 hours ago, carl123 said:

In Assistant Manager, make sure "Add mask as child layer" is selected

mask2.png

Thanks for this. As I stated above, the AM was unchecked and this resolved the issue (except for the other question I had concerning the expanding of the layer). Much appreciated.