You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Placing Images from "Place Images" does not work

In Page Plus I could get all my photos into the document and then drag and drop them into picture frames.

I tried the same here. Clicked on the place image tool and selected multiple pictures. These appeared then under "Place Images". So far so good.

Then I drawed my picture frames and tried to drag the pictures into them afterwards. But there is no way to move the pictures from the "Place Images" tab anywhere. I cant even get them out of that tab anymore.

What I can do is go to the Image Tool and select all pictures and then IMMEDIATLY place them into existing frames. But this also removes them from the place picture tab, so if I want to swap pictures in frames afterwards I can't do that.

Thats a lot worse than Page Plus and I hope the functionality of placing pictures will be much improved.

• Staff

Hey Jens Koopmann, welcome to the Affinity Forums :) 

The behaviour is different from PagePlus. You need to simply left-click the image you wish to place and then left-click on the frame you want to place it into. Your mouse cursor should get a little icon next to it to indicate you can now place the image. 

Hi Chris,

thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately the procedure you described is not working. I have the pictures in the place picture tab and a frame on the page. 

I left click on the picture (it gets selected) then i left click on the frame and it opens the frame context menu, but it does not insert the picture.

Just to make it clear, it works immediately after I opened alle images. Then I can click on any frame to insert the picture. But after I change the tool to something else, the images remain in the Place Images Tab and there is no obvious way to get them out of there.

Hope you have another idea ;-)

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Jens Koopmann said:

I left click on the picture (it gets selected) then i left click on the frame and it opens the frame context menu, but it does not insert the picture.

Just to make it clear, it works immediately after I opened alle images. Then I can click on any frame to insert the picture. But after I change the tool to something else, the images remain in the Place Images Tab and there is no obvious way to get them out of there.

First, a left-click on the frame should not open a context menu. For me, that takes right-click.

Next, I'm not sure they've allowed for tool changes while the Place Images panel is visible. In beta .133, in fact, if you change tools the Place Images panel closes.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi Walt,

you are right, the right popped up the context menu. The left click simply did nothing.

If the behaviour in .133 is like you described, that means, that publisher is not very much suited for image focused publications unllike page plus which is very good in that regard. I was hoping to replace Page Plus with Publisher, but therefore handling of images has to be improved.

• Staff

It sounds like the issue here is that your Place Images panel isn't closing when you change tools. Clicking another tool should close the Place Images panel—if yours isn't closing, maybe this is why functionality stops? 

I think I need to poke this a bit more...

Hi, everyone,. attempted to select multiple images at same time using Place Image Tool, but not all would open (they were all the same type, JPG). Is this due to the images having to meet certain minimum size or other requirements?

Pardon me if this was already addressed elsewhere in the Forum.

Thanks.

• Staff

Hey rjdjing,

Can you zip them up and attach them here? It seems to be working OK for me with the samples I have. I'm hoping to see some improvements to this tool at some point so it would be nice to iron out the current issues as soon as we can :) 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.