You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher - Editing Duplicated Text

I'm creating a document that will have around a hundred pages with very similar layout, but different content. 

There is a large title at the top of the page, with a subtitle below in smaller text, then three tables of the same size but different content on each page. 

First I thought I should create all of these elements on a Master Page and then edit them on each page, but the changes I make apply to every page using that master.

I tried creating the elements on a normal page and duplicating the whole page, but when I modify the next page it also applies those changes to the original page.

Am I missing something? How is the best way for me to create a large number of pages with the same style of text and tables, but be able to edit the content on each page individually?

I think you must have made a mistake somewhere. Publisher doesn't handle master pages the way most of us expect. Probably that got you off on a bad track.

Try creating a new document and add some objects to the first page. Then insert some pages and copy the objects of the first page to any of the other pages. It works fine in my version. You can also duplicate pages from the pages panel. They will be inserted after the page you're duplicating. The objects on the duplicated pages will be unique anyway. You can edit them without changing anything else.

I agree with the original post. To me master objects should be editable on the page. The master is there to maintain position and box content style. Having the content of the master pages fixed limits their use.

The ability to edit the master page objects on the content page which then changes the master page is confusing. I suppose you could just lock it. Just as I suppose you could set up your page and duplicate as Wim suggests. But these seem like workarounds because the master page doesn't do what you'd expect it to.

Related (though perhaps could do with a new post) – what about setting up master pages with linked text boxes? What if you want to create a booklet of 100 pages where each page contains an identical text box linked to the next page? As far as I can see this would involve setting up a page, creating 99 duplicates and then linking each text box manually. No one's going to do that.

20 minutes ago, pualv said:

What if you want to create a booklet of 100 pages where each page contains an identical text box linked to the next page? As far as I can see this would involve setting up a page, creating 99 duplicates and then linking each text box manually. No one's going to do that.

You can do this by SHIFT+clicking on the little triangle in the lower right half of a text frame. This adds as many linked text frames and fills them with text you import.

But at looking again at your question: you want to create 100 pages with empty linked text frames in advance and fill them later with text? I think it does not work that way.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

This is not an area where Affinity should try to break new ground / fix what isn't broken.

Master pages should work like this:

1. When you create a new master page it isn't based on anything other than a blank page that matches the current document settings. Currently it seems any new master is built on the active non-master page. If someone wants to derive a master from a non-master page they should simply generate the empty master then copy all the objects from the other page, and paste them into the master.

2. You should be able to specify newly created pages ineherit their look and structure: from the active master page; from the last master used; from the document settings only (i.e. blank page that follows margins, color settings, etc). These could be a global setting from the panel fly-out menu, and/or per document settings. I would default to last master used and if none was used, then the standard document setings.

3. Changing anything on a non-master page, which was originally generated from a master... should NOT change the master page or any other pages that use the master.

4. Changing a master page after non-masters have been generated from same, should change ALL of said generated pages.

Basically any page created from a master should be considered a one-off, moldable "instance" of that page, affecting no others unless that's explicitly set somewhere. The whole point of master pages is to control the look of all the pages generated from it, not the other way around or some permutation where you can change all master-drive pages from any other master-driven page.

7 minutes ago, pualv said:

dominik – thanks, that's the sort of thing I was after. InDesign has (had?) the Master Text Frame checkbox which would set up empty linked text boxes on a new doc.

I think we will see a mixture of improvements with the functionality of master pages besides the developers and a learning curve on our side (the users) on how to optimally set up and use master pages. I am sure the to be released tutorial videos will also shed some light (and wisdom) on the topic.  I'm really looking forward to both parts :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

20 hours ago, ChrisMcDee said:

First I thought I should create all of these elements on a Master Page and then edit them on each page, but the changes I make apply to every page using that master.

Ooh that's weird, you're right, just tried it. Doesn't seem to be a way to break the link to master page so you can edit something independently

MacBook Pro M1 Max, macOS 12.6.1 Monterey
Affinity Designer : 2.0  Affinity Photo: 2.0,   Affinity Publisher: 2.0

There is a way. First open Objects tab (View - Studio - Objects).   Next select a page on which you want to change an element to differ from the Master used. With the page selected go to the Master Layer and expand it.  Select from the Master Layer the item and then go to the Objects tab and click on Sync ONCE. The item can now be edited without altering the Master Pshe

@PMan Where's the Objects tab in studio?

4noUVWV.png

Dell Precision T7910, 2x Xeon E5-2630v3, 128 GB RAM DDR4, Quadro K6000, Dell UP2716D, Huion Inspiroy Q11K V2 Pen Tablet, WIN 10 PRO
Dell Precision T3640, Xeon W1290, 128 GB RAM DDR4, Quadro RTX 5000, Eizo CG319X, Huion Inspiroy Q11K V2 Pen Tablet, WIN 10 PRO FWS
-----

Graphic software: Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher - Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom Classic, InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat - Zoner Photo Studio - Topaz Gigapixel Ai, Denoise Ai, Sharpen Ai

y1441709358_SymbolsonStudioviw.PNG.aa3fec4894ffc4fda39702ecbb0c899f.PNG Sorry was working from memory only -answered using just my phone- computer not available
Should have been Open Symbols tab not Object tab {no such thing!]
.  Then select the page you want to change item, open the Master tab on Layers and expand it, select the item (text box shown in my example). 
The item is selected and you can then click on the Sync symbol and edit the item without the Master page item being changed. 
If you want to move the item from the position set by the Master page then use the Detach button  as well

1 hour ago, souacz said:

@PMan Where's the Objects tab in studio?

4noUVWV.png

2010458264_Masterstab.PNG.5c467ee91adbcb9825f0184b3e5e3b32.PNG  665915886_masterslayeropened.PNG.820a714228a73daecccc968bfb4b073b.PNG970889433_Symbolssync.PNG.b806c9f2939a177a28747e3b156056b1.PNG

Thank you, it's very useful. So far I duplicated layers that had to edit.

Dell Precision T7910, 2x Xeon E5-2630v3, 128 GB RAM DDR4, Quadro K6000, Dell UP2716D, Huion Inspiroy Q11K V2 Pen Tablet, WIN 10 PRO
Dell Precision T3640, Xeon W1290, 128 GB RAM DDR4, Quadro RTX 5000, Eizo CG319X, Huion Inspiroy Q11K V2 Pen Tablet, WIN 10 PRO FWS
-----

Graphic software: Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher - Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom Classic, InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat - Zoner Photo Studio - Topaz Gigapixel Ai, Denoise Ai, Sharpen Ai