You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot select text to edit

Struggling to select text to edit it.
I have opened a saved document to edit it.
I have selected the text tool (either framed or artistic) When I click on the text to edit, I am getting the coloured rectangle behind the text.
If I select the text layer in Layers it still changes to the layer below every time.

I have tried using the Ctrl + Click/drag, shift + click/drag, double click, triple click all the things mentioned in the Help Tutorial, but to no avail.

I have installed the latest  version, still getting the same issue.

Any ideas?

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
16 minutes ago, The Fox said:

I have a text box, and when I want to select text, it just selects the whole text.

This is new to me. Could you post a video of this or the .afpub file here?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

2 hours ago, The Fox said:

I'm having the same problem. I have a text box, and when I want to select text, it just selects the whole text. I can't make my own selection or place the cursor. Any advice?

Hello @The Fox, welcome to the forum.

Is the text in the box by any chance filler text (= Lorem Ipsum)? If this is the case right click on the text and choose 'Expand Field'.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

13 hours ago, dominik said:

Is the text in the box by any chance filler text (= Lorem Ipsum)?

This was also my initial thought, but The Fox was nothing saying about this.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

37 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

This was also my initial thought, but The Fox was nothing saying about this.

For some new users it is not obvious that filler text is actually not regular text. We'll have to see what the @The Fox has to tell 🙂

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 3 years later...

Hello. The exact same problem here. It worked reasonably well for a while, but now although text has previously been able to be formatted, it is no longer selectable or editable. I moved away from Adobe CC as I was so infuriated by Illustrator being very unreliable but would like to believe that I've made the right choice with Affinity. I'm running V2.2 on a MacBook Pro running Sonoma 14.0.

Hi @Glyn and welcome to the forums,

Can you upload a sample Affinity document where you're seeing this particular issue?

I'm assuming you're experiencing the issue in Affinity Designer based on your reference to Illustrator but if not, please let us know as there is a known bug in Publisher v2.2 which may explain the problem you're seeing...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Hi there,

I am having this issue in Affinity Publisher 2.2.0 on my Macbook M2 chip. I'm working on a multipage document/magazine and suddenly text boxes and picture boxes have become uneditable on one of the pages. I can see the outline of the boxes but I can't select them. It's almost as though they've been flattened into the background image. It's very frustrating. Is there a way around it? It starts with one box and then the ones around it also become un-selectable.

I have tried undoing steps until the boxes work again but it's only a temporary fix. Within a few steps they become un-selectable again. Next I am going to try undoing enough steps until the boxes work and then recreating the affected spread and deleting the buggy one. I'm very concerned my whole document will become useless as I've put a lot of work into it at this point and I have a deadline looming. If anyone else has some tips I'd be grateful. 

Thanks, 

Hi @HappyDays and welcome to the forums,

It would be really helpful if you could make a quick screen recording showing the complete UI demonstrating the problem you're seeing so we can get a better feel of possible causes.

If you're able to upload a sample page from the document as well where this issue is happening (or the whole document if easier) with any images embedded that would also be very helpful in trying to diagnose the issue for you.

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

I made a recording of the issue and I've saved the relevant pages in a separate document and the issue persists in the new document. I was about to upload them to this thread but I realised that there is some private info, someone's phone number and email address, that I shouldn't upload to a public forum. Is there some other way to share the files with you so I'm not posting them on a public forum? Thanks.

Hi @HappyDays,

Of course, if you're happy to DM them to me I can take a look for you and then delete the files afterwards but if you'd prefer one of the Serif Moderation team to take a look they can provide a private Dropbox link for you to upload the files and screen recording.

Just let us know what you would prefer...

Thanks. I was able to delete the phone number and email address so I think it's ok to upload now. I made a video showing the problem. At first I am selecting and editing things like normal. Then I move a group of images off page to the left side (the image that is a chain of children holding hands) afterwards I try selecting various boxes. Several can no longer be selected but some still can. I'll upload the vid and the packaged document minus the fonts. Thanks for your help.

Happy Days.zip

Hi @HappyDays,

If you enable 'Edit All Layers' in the Layers panel (the icon at the bottom left of the layers panel) you should find everything now works as expected... Once you select an item in Layer 1, because 'Edit All Layers' is not enabled selecting any items that are not part of Layer 1 can't be selected.

The function is useful when working with 'Layers' (Capital 'L') so you can easily isolate elements to avoid selecting them accidentally when you perhaps have lots of overlapping elements and need to just focus on those inside a specific Layer...

Let us know if that fixes the issue for you...

Editalllayers.png.f7191fa55c617cc5700f99b2e72cb9e9.png

That’s no trouble at all, I’m glad everything is working for you now 😀