You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sharp pixels then using mask with inward stroke

Hi, I want to ask if this is expected behavior or not. 
1) Draw circle with an inward stroke
2) Draw a line so it will intersect circle and make this line going from thin to thick in stroke settings
3) Put line into the circle layer, so it will mask it
4) Watch where stroke intersects with circle, harsh pixels there. Mask did not mask everything. It seems worst if you make objects white and bg black, much more obvious.
I will include examples to be more clear:

Без заголовка 1.png

1620185551_ThumbstickBG2.png.a2cbb732d45c98ba87aa731fc9ef177a.png

No - I am afraid I only have the desktop version, so the setting may not be present.

However when I loaded your file I saw the jagged edges that you reported, and then noticed that Precise Clipping (which I usually have enabled) was disabled in your file. Turning it on, the jaggies disappeared.

Hopefully someone else using the iPad version can chip in with an answer.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

On reflection I think that the Precise Clipping setting is not stored in the file, but is an application wide setting.

I think that I recently did a reset to Designer which returned the setting to off (which is the default).

Still, I may be wrong, so here is the file resaved with Precise Clipping On…

SimpleOne (Precise Clipping On).afdesign

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

37 minutes ago, Aammppaa said:

On reflection I think that the Precise Clipping setting is not stored in the file, but is an application wide setting.

I think that I recently did a reset to Designer which returned the setting to off (which is the default).

Still, I may be wrong, so here is the file resaved with Precise Clipping On…

SimpleOne (Precise Clipping On).afdesign

Thank you, for trying to help me! I got the same bad result.  
Affinity team, If there is already a code for great clipping in the desktop version, it's probably portable enough to bring it to the Ipad version, too. I understand that there are concerns about performance on a tablet, but this should be on for at least exporting! 

@MPIsLow I am not seeing this issue in your file on my AD on iPad.

E3D44387-3474-48EA-9F1E-2C5E16D1E6A0.jpeg

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• Staff

Hi @MPIsLow :) 

Thanks for bringing this to our attention it's an issue that we're aware of and our devs have been informed, I'll update their log with this thread.

The desktop setting Use Precise Clipping does solve this render issue, but it's not currently available on the iPad.

@DM1 I've noticed that when zoomed in it's much less prevalent, if you zoom out do you see the aforementioned issue?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

@Dan C If I zoom out it is hard to tell, but I zoomed out, took a screen shot and then zoomed back in on the screen shot (if that makes sense). The jaggies were a little more evident then as shown below.

B26A699B-FBF7-49CE-8146-72EFB01FE5EF.jpeg

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Unfortunately we've got no eta for when precise clipping may be implemented into the iPad version of Affinity Designer, my apologies.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

Hi @cheese6626,

Welcome to the forums :)

Unfortunately this option is yet to be added to our iPad software and unfortunately our developers have provided no timescale updates regarding this recently, my apologies.

Please note -

Many thanks!