You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Merge 2 Publisher documents?

• Staff

Lora Rivera

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

I hope it lives up to your expectations.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 9 months later...

I have written a short book including text and photos in a very old publisher programme and had problems getting it  changed into PDF form. I wanted to update it so bought Affinity Publisher as I was lead to believe that I could change documents into PDF, but then discovered that I can't copy or move the original book into the new Affinity programme. Back to the drawing board maybe and make the most of the old set up. Does anyone have any ideas as I am almost a complete dummy? Affinity looks so complicated and dark I may have to give it up anyway.

@Valerie Charrington

Affnity Pulisher can import pdf files. Just use File > Open and find your pdf file. However the fidelity of the import will depend on how your 'very old publisher  program' creates the pdf. Try it and see!

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

The problem that I find with the Affinity pdf importer is that it provides a new paragraph symbol at the end of each line. Thus, if you want to edit your text after capturing it in Publisher you have a big job to do in justifying the text. Even so, it might be worth importing your text as pdf and then reformatting the whole document, by deleting all paragraph symbols and then re-inserting these where a new paragraph really is required.

2 hours ago, microjez said:

The problem that I find with the Affinity pdf importer is that it provides a new paragraph symbol at the end of each line.

It appears your problem is less related to this topic of merging .afpubs but rather to using PDFs within .afpubs. The Affinity Help for Merging documents doesn't sound unambiguous and its feature "Add Pages from File..." doesn't offer the options you need. Instead the Help Importing documents describes the desired workflows for various file types.

When importing a PDF you can influence this behavior by opening (not placing or adding) a PDF + activating the text options:

517441685_openpdftextoptions.jpg.60b79ad3a1c7e87ad2d2e22165473556.jpg

This will open certain paragraphs combined within 1 text frame, it doesn't contain break characters at its line ends and contains end symbols only for paragraphs (pilcrow, ¶) and frame (§).

840840770_openpdftextoptions2.jpg.8eef9c25e43c41e8e0f9e041ac36ab7d.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 3 months later...

Hi dr.jamesmoore,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums!
Would you mind to change your user name? Your published email address might attract spam, to you or to the forum.

How can I access Publisher version 1.8?

(At least) if you purchased via Serif Store the older versions are there: https://store.serif.com/de/update/macos/publisher/1/
I don't know about the procedure for a Mac / Win App Store purchase, maybe someone else pops in with more info.

In case you picked this thread accidentally: the mentioned v.1.8 isn't the current one. Your app, once installed, will guide you to the newest update via its "Check for Updates" option.

Edited by thomaso

8 hours ago, thomaso said:

I don't know about the procedure for a Mac / Win App Store purchase, maybe someone else pops in with more info.

It is not possible to obtain older versons of the Affinity software in that case, except via restoring an older copy from a backup you've made.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

18 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It is not possible to obtain older versons of the Affinity software in that case, except via restoring an older copy from a backup you've made.

I have done it months ago with a small app. Since then macOS reminds me with a message window every few weeks to update the program, even though I have deselected all auto-update options in the macOS system panel (while the app itself has no update option or setting). Bit annoying macOS behavior.

5 minutes ago, dr james moore said:

A few people have reported that they successfully merge Publisher pub files with a new (1.8? 1.9?) version.

Can anyone point to a place to download this update?  What versions of Publisher does it work for?

Document merge was a new feature in Affinity Publisher 1.8, so it's available there and in any newer release.

What release of Affinity Publisher do you currently have, and where did you purchase it, and what OS do you run?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

On 4/9/2021 at 11:02 PM, thomaso said:

Hi dr.jamesmoore,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums!
Would you mind to change your user name? Your published email address might attract spam, to you or to the forum.

Yet you immortalized it by quoting it without adjusting the name in the quote...

13 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Yet you immortalized it by quoting it without adjusting the name in the quote...

Hm? I did not quote the initial email address (it formerly contained @ + domain.) Therefore I had quoted the name only.

1 minute ago, thomaso said:

Hm? I did not quote the initial email address (it formerly contained @ + domain.) Therefore I had quoted the name only.

Look at your post in which you quoted him (click the arrow with the curved tail at the right end of my quote of your post to find it quickly); the blue bar says "On 4/10/2021 at 6:02 6:02 PM, <email address> said:"

4 minutes ago, thomaso said:

But you used the Quote button, which includes the current username, and does not adjust if the username is changed later. You could have copied the text you wanted to quote, composed a reply, and used the quote function in the compose box to include the user's text.

Now, you could go back and edit your post, delete that quote block, and re-quote it to pick up the new username.

-- Walt
PC: