You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

@desanna100

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

It has been asked for here a number of times in the last 3 weeks, but Affinity Publisher cannot do this for you. There are a number of websites and apps that can (for free) create images for you for any of the many things (to the many specifications) that a QR code can represent (not just a hyperlink), and you can just insert that QR code image where you wish.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hi Sam,

I can only answer for myself. 

If I had a single ad or a single poster, I might use an in-application qr code generator. But I've never been asked to.

I use to get requests for adding them to a business card run, but that use has died down significantly for me. Because the biz cards were for a company comprised of many personalized cards, I used a database and generated them at once in seconds. And then added the filenames to the merge code and merged to the biz card template. 

Mike

• Staff
24 minutes ago, Sam Neil said:

....why not? I hate to bring up the old chestnut but PagePlus has this feature and works like a charm....What is stopping you

It took us 8 years and 4 versions of PagePlus after QR codes were popular for QR codes to bubble up to the top in terms of priorities in PagePlus. So no reason "why not", but it is not.... a priority. It's easy to work around (see above), where there is no easy work around for anchored objects (for example). Q. "What is stopping you" A. having priorities and not having an infinite number of programmers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

9 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

It took us 8 years and 4 versions of PagePlus after QR codes were popular for QR codes to bubble up to the top in terms of priorities in PagePlus. So no reason "why not", but it is not.... a priority. It's easy to work around (see above), where there is no easy work around for anchored objects (for example). Q. "What is stopping you" A. having priorities and not having an infinite number of programmers.

Fair point.

For years at a career events exhibition show we were asked to incorporate huge QR codes on the stands and also on all the flyers. 

We had the QR code direct to a unique URL so we could track the amount of times it was accessed. 

Over 5 years, noobody once scanned the QR codes, from either the large ones printed on the stands, and the ones printed on the flyers. 

I recently worked on a project. Out of 8000 people, only 5 used QR codes. The QR code is obselete BUT it was a request from the client. And this request, it is often done to me ... :)

Windows 10 21H2 -  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz   2.59 GHz - 16,0 Go - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2018 at 12:24 PM, Burny said:

The QR code is obselete...

QR code is not obsolete. It's very useful for complex web addresses. PagePlus could generate QR codes, so it shouldn't be difficult to add this feature in Affinity Publisher too.

33 minutes ago, janndk said:

QR code is not obsolete. It's very useful for complex web addresses. PagePlus could generate QR codes, so it shouldn't be difficult to add this feature in Affinity Publisher too.

htaccess is useful for complex addresses... But when I use something like QR code, it's my costumer choice, not mine. A professional software must allow me to meet the demand of my clients. (QR code could be useful but no one use it. Useful but obsolete).

Windows 10 21H2 -  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz   2.59 GHz - 16,0 Go - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti