You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Docking Only Pages and Text Frames Studios Bug

I get a similar problem with the Text Frame, just as nasty. It doesn't happen when I dock it (Text Frame) on the Right side.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

As a side note, I am also not sure if I like the new auto-spacing feature for the (width of the) studio panels. Actually, I am not sure if it is a feature or rather a bug. If it is a feature, I can understand that it was introduced with the intention to save screen space, but after working a while in the new version, I fear I like a calm interface better. If you asked me, I would suggest that you stick with one sidebar size at the moment and introduce a true small screen solution later, you know, something like in Indesign or other apps where panels can be reduced to buttons.

To explain, in the other Affinity apps one can make the sidebars as wide as one desires, but their width will then stay the same for all panels on the sidebar. There will be no width jumps as in my video below. :)

Thanks for considering,

Alex

1 hour ago, A_B_C said:

other apps where panels can be reduced to buttons

Remember that you can double click on the title of any panel to reduce it to just the title strip.

Click on the title again (just once) to restore.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi A_B_C,

Thanks for letting us know - I've just tried this in 1.7.0.139 and I can no longer reproduce it, so it appears as though it has been fixed along the way! If it is still an issue for you then please let us know! :) 

• Staff

Hi A_B_C,
I'm also getting trouble reproducing the deconstructed Text Frame panel issue (the jumping width also happen here). Are you using a standard or retina display? Have you tried to reset the program (just the first three boxes) and checking this again? Maybe it's a casual glitch from the updates...

Have it even after reseting, the problem is when I dock the two panels together and stick them on the left side.

image.png.4688b5edbba5f4f4c3d98431467bf689.png

It is fine at first then switch to pages and back and it is messed up. And no scroll bar is a pain on the small screen, have to close some of the options to see the bottom stuff.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

It must be related to screen real-estate, I am on a 13" MacBook pro and the resolution is 1280 x 800 considerably less than what is in your demonstration.

2 hours ago, Sean P said:

still not able to reproduce that here after trying on both Retina, Non Retina and also Dark and Light UIs.

Ha! Good sleuthing!

This is definitely a small screen issue. When I tried the same studio configuration on my large screen machine, everything was fine. So to reproduce the issue, simply use the studio configuration as shown in my video and resize the window to about the screen size of a 13 inch MacBook Pro. You should see the issue.

Sure, hardly anyone would do page layout on a 13 inch screen, but nonetheless, I think Publisher should work in such an environment too.

What about the other issue I reported? The jumping widths? Is that by design? Well, then I believe you should change it. A jumping user interface is terribly distracting and annoying, in my opinion. O.o

Just have a look how your page is jumping, @Sean P! Please change this. The canvas should not change when selecting different studios!

• Staff

Thanks for the further information - I've now reproduced it using 1280x768 and will get it passed on to development. I don't believe the jumping widths is by design either, Photo and Designer side panels always maintain the same width, so I will also get that passed onto development.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.