You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Filled out texts columns

Just now, MEB said:

Hi Franky Drappier,

These issues are solved enabling hyphenation.

Thank you for the swift reply.

I have hyphenation on. When I choose Dutch as a language and leave hyphenation on Auto, the result is as seen in the image. When I switch Hyphenation to English (UK), it works. Of course Hyphenation rules in English are different from the ones in Dutch, but it gets me kind of halfway there.

I've tried German and French as well and I don't feel that really works very well either. I don't really need Italian on a daily basis, but I've tried it as well, just for the heck of it, and no Hyphenation there either.

Maybe I'm being a bit impatient as i really want to switch to designer asap and I'm trying to use it on a real job already ;).

Regards.

The issue of last lines being fully justified can be resolved with Justification set to left aligned.

If Dutch hyphenation isn't working it may be the actual Hunspell hyphenation file. But also the "Score" value is still mucked up and should be set to the value 1, at least to see if that has a desired effect.

Mike

13 minutes ago, MikeW said:

The issue of last lines being fully justified can be resolved with Justification set to left aligned.

If Dutch hyphenation isn't working it may be the actual Hunspell hyphenation file. But also the "Score" value is still mucked up and should be set to the value 1, at least to see if that has a desired effect.

Mike

Thank you for that suggestion, Mike. From a typographical point of view I'll always prefer a one sided alignment to a "justified" one, but sometimes the customer has a different view on things and since this is a magazine that has been around for a while hith 'justified" columns, I need to get the most appealing result I possibly can.

Playing around with the "Justification" settings under teh paragraph tab also helps. 

I also use justified columns, especially if the width narrows. 

But you can have justified text but with the last line left. That was the setting I was suggesting.

In all my time doing layout work, I don't think I have ever used a full justification nor ever seen it in print.

Mike 

A trick I use is judicious use of what I call discretionary hyphens and here in APub are call 'Soft Hyphens'. it is in the Text > Insert > Soft Hyphen. Choose some of the long words in the lines above. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I think the algorithm for hyphenation/justification needs improvement. The hyphenation is also very often buggy, especially in Bulgarian. The dictionary I use is the same I use in LibreOffice and in InDesign, and it works as it should. This is a serious problem for Bulgarian language, because we have a lot long words, and putting soft hyphens manually is not an option for a long texts. Also, the Justification pallete seems not to work as it should - you can see there is no problem to set the desired value to be less than minimum, and the maximum to be less than desired, and this simply should not be allowed. Changing the values also have a little impact to the justification at all, it seems like the algorithm ignores the values.

ap_text_justification.PNG