You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paragraph Decorations/Rules

I personally think this panel isn't that intuitive and is overly complex.

The icons make sense, that you can selectively chose which side to apply a decoration/rule to, but having all the indent options below don't.

I'd expect there to be only one input box there and for it to be called Offset (as I'm expecting the border/rule/decoration to applied to the selected side of the text frame that I'm working with and to apply to the whole length of that side.

Currently selecting the top icon applies the rule to the top as expected, but it doesn't get applied to the full width of the frame unless I stipulate "relative to" -> column for either left and right. This really is baffling - in my opinion.

In regards to the icons - these too could be simplified, as the the hatching adds a visual confusion and distracts from the highlighted edge element - which requires more visual weight

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 10.37.16.png

1 hour ago, deebz said:

I personally think this panel isn't that intuitive and is overly complex.

Disagree. Decorations is the most sofisticated feature in Publisher that is not available anywhere else (that I am aware of).

Icons can be changed but we need all these inputs to make sure that this feature stays  as flexible as possible.
Currently there are some bugs there in regards to selecting items from the Decoration pop-up that I hope that this will be fixed soon.

As it stands there are infinite ways to decorate text in Publisher. Incredible.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

The options are useful, but we could change the defaults. The current indents are useful for drawing a tight box around the text. If we change the left and right sides to be Column, then the box is loose on the sides and tight at top and bottom, which looks a bit strange to me. There isn't a good way to make an equal gap at top and bottom because that depends on the indents. So our current defaults may be the best compromise.

Playing with it, I notice it doesn't handle first-line indents well.

I love this feature and its flexibility. Sure, it takes a little time to get what you want, because the possibilities are nearly endless. What I would like is this feature applied to a character style. The current highlight option on the character style level is simply a background colour. I would love to have more precise control over offsets (or indentations). Much like what's possible with CSS.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...