You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adding captions to figures within long text doc

I have a long text document in linked text frames. I have added figures I want to number and caption and be able to list in a Table/List of Figures. I want to group the captions with the Figures, and wrap the original continuous text around these groups of (figure(s) + caption(s). 

Attempts to add a Text box or frame for the caption breaks the continuous text, adding the caption content to the original text. How do I achieve my desired result? I guess I mean a box of editable unrelated text within existing text, that will travel with (or be grouped with) its image, not the original text. I seem to be missing something I should be doing. 

Create your caption text frame somewhere outside of the initial text box, and put your caption in it. Then use the Move tool to position it with the image. Then Group the image and caption using the Layers panel. Then with the group selected, use the Text Wrap options to give the underlying text the proper flow around the image/text object.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 4 months later...
On 9/19/2018 at 7:13 PM, walt.farrell said:

Create your caption text frame somewhere outside of the initial text box, and put your caption in it. Then use the Move tool to position it with the image. Then Group the image and caption using the Layers panel. Then with the group selected, use the Text Wrap options to give the underlying text the proper flow around the image/text object.

Tried that on my MAC.   If the image is on the pasteboard, outside the document window, it will group with a text frame with the caption, but then when the Move tool sends it over into the text frame already on the document page, only the image remains.  The caption text frame disappears, leaving a white space where it had  been grouped with the image.  If the image is already on the document page within a text frame, it is not possible to move another caption text frame to it, where it could be grouped.

Something very odd here. 

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

• 1 year later...

I'm not sure how this is supposed to work - I come from LaTeX, and for books and magazines, some basic enumeration (+naming / caption) and list of figures with captions should be possible without much effort in affinity publisher, even though is should also be possible to change the design as required. 

For a simple LaTeX-example, see https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/240022/put-a-caption-under-a-drawn-picture

I haven't seen any good examples or best practice guides for affinity publisher yet to achieve this (maybe including/automatically creating table-, picture-/figure-indexes etc. with changeable default settings).

On 9/20/2018 at 4:26 AM, mycroft said:

Thank you Walt, for your precise instructions. I think you have opened the door for how this works. I appreciate your help so much. Elegant.

Maybe you should add captions in Photo?

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

• 11 months later...

I am working with the newest beta 1.9.4.1076. When I follow these instructions, even after grouping the text frame  and picture, when I drag the picture into the larger frame the text frame adjusts in size to keep the caption text BELOW the frame in which I am placing the picture. How do I control that?

10 minutes ago, lgoodwin said:

I am working with the newest beta 1.9.4.1076. When I follow these instructions, even after grouping the text frame  and picture, when I drag the picture into the larger frame the text frame adjusts in size to keep the caption text BELOW the frame in which I am placing the picture. How do I control that?

I'm not sure I understand what you're describing, but I certainly don't see anything like that happening for me. Can you provide some screenshots or a video that demonstrates the problem?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I agree with Walt that this works as described. I'm using captions on photos in two manners in my book.

For most photos, I'm placing them inline so the paragraph after the photo is simply styled as the caption. The photo and caption flows with the text and it works perfectly.

But I'm using a 2-column layout and I want some photos and their captions to span both columns. Since there isn't a span columns feature, I'm grouping the picture frame and caption text frame together, wrapping text around the group, and positioning the group manually which I believe is what Walt recommended. This also works perfectly but of course I have to reposition the group when I add or remove text before that point.

I'm having a hard time visualizing the issue you're describing but perhaps the main text frame that you're adding the group to has text wrap turned on, too?

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

I managed to replicate the issue with the attached. You will see two photos inserted with captions working fine. The third photo, bottom left, was done exactly the same way, except you can see the caption "test caption" remains below the bounding box of the longer text segment. If I move the bottom left picture, the caption adjusts but still remains outside the bounding box of the larger segment.

test.afphoto

18 hours ago, lgoodwin said:

I managed to replicate the issue with the attached. You will see two photos inserted with captions working fine. The third photo, bottom left, was done exactly the same way, except you can see the caption "test caption" remains below the bounding box of the longer text segment. If I move the bottom left picture, the caption adjusts but still remains outside the bounding box of the larger segment.

test.afphoto 4.57 MB · 3 downloads

If you're wanting to show us an image of something that happened, just make a screenshot (typically that's a PNG or JPG) and simply put that in the forum.

If you're saying you were doing this in Photo, it doesn't have text wrap, so I don't understand what you were trying to do. But if you were using Publisher, please don't just give us a screenshot like that. At a minimum we would need to see the Layers panel, but ideally you would give us the actual .afpub document so we can easily see what you have.

-- Walt
PC:

Thanks.

There's something odd going on with the Wrap Outline for that caption. I'm not sure if you were playing around with that earlier, but it is forcing the "Test Caption" line completely outside of its text frame. If you notice, you've got a red "eye" icon on the lower right, indicating that the text has overflowed the frame, and it's only visible at all because you said to show the overflow text.

I'm not sure exactly what has been done with its wrap outline, but if you select the "Test Caption" layer in the Layers Panel, then click the "Edit Wrap Outline" button in the Context Toolbar, it fixes it.

image.png.a9f26402aed0111e92f93508774756a7.png

-- Walt
PC:

5 hours ago, lgoodwin said:

OK. here is an afpub. The problematic photo/caption is the lower left corner of page 3.

June 2002test.afpub 4.83 MB · 1 download

You setup the "Text Wrap" to the text frame. Just remove it and everything will be OK.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

BTW, I wonder why "Text Wrap" panel is located under "Text" menu instead in "View > Studio"?

7 hours ago, sfriedberg said:

what's the principle under which some controls pane would be classed as "studio"

I don't know what the principle is, but I found some other panels that are listed in other menus as they are in "Studio".

2 hours ago, Petar Petrenko said:

I don't know what the principle is, but I found some other panels that are listed in other menus as they are in "Studio".

Yes, sometimes a studio panel can be additionally listed in a menu other than View > Studio, but there sensibly is no non-studio panel in the View > Studio menu.

You asked why a non-studio panel, Text Wrap, is not in the View > Studio menu. The simple reason is that Text Wrap is not a studio panel.

(I have no idea why Text Wrap was not implemented as a studio panel).

2 hours ago, anon2 said:

(I have no idea why Text Wrap was not implemented as a studio panel).

But sometimes it is good that there are questions that do not neccessarily need an answer 😉

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil