You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Frame over Image Does Not Display

I am placing a text frame over an image to add labels. The fill is set to white and the stroke is set to black for the text frame. It displays correctly when not on the image. However, when any portion text frame is placed over the image, the text disappears. The stroke around the frame displays as expected, though. Is there something I should be doing differently?

Thank you, MikeW. I did confirm that the text wrap was set to none. For completeness, I also confirmed that the text frame is above the image in the layers panel.

While I don't think the text frame behavior is correct, I have found another way to do what I want.

I have instead used the artistic text and added paragraph decoration to place the box around the text. It works better, in fact, because the box autosizes to the text and the distance between the box and the text can be specified in the paragraph decoration settings. Placing the artistic text on the image works fine.

Hi Peter,

That was a great test! I tried it with a different image file and it worked for me as well. Then I tried a different image similar to the one that shows the issue, and it failed. 

It seems to have to do with the image I am using. Both images I used (the one that works and the ones that don't work are all PDFs. So it's not the fact that the image is a PDF. It's something about the particular PDF that I have. I'll need to do more investigating to try to understand the difference between the two types.

Thanks for putting me on the right track! I'll report back when I better understand this phenomena.

I'm completely baffled. I inserted the SAME image (that was not working) on a different page, then placed the text frame over it. It worked fine.

I tried to see if having the image embedded or linked made a difference. It does not appear to. But my testing has not been exhaustive.

So that you can see the phenomena, I'm posting a one page file that demonstrates the problem. At the top of the page is a text frame "Test Text". If you move it down and over one of the two images, the text should disappear. Let me know if you do not see that same behavior...

Text Not Displayed.afpub

The image does have wrap. But you need it.

The text frame that is affected is paragraph text. Copy the text or one of the Artistic text frames and modify the text. Your other labels are Artistic text that do not exhibit the issue. Frame/Paragraph text is affected.

I now understand the issue and MikeW nailed it! This is not a bug.

I'm not sure how I missed it, but text wrap for the image was turned on. Which is the problem! (I must have checked the text frame.) When you move the text frame over the image, the text jumps out of the way of the image, which is what you want to happen for an image being placed into a column of text.

But I'm trying to use a text frame over a text box for annotation. Publisher does what it has been told to do and moves the text below the image.

I looked for a way to tell this one text frame to ignore text wrap, but I don't see anything at first glance? Any ideas?

Sorry, MikeW. I was composing while you where writing. You are correct. The use of the artistic text is the way to go, rather than try to make text frames work differently, imho.

Thanks for all the help, everyone!

No worries! I think a no-wrap attribute would be nice, especially in these situations.

BTW, is this file slow on your system? It is extremely slow here and I don't know why. I've created similar and more complex pages here. But that file here is really slow.

Yes, it's very slow. Dragging the images is very difficult because of the lag. Like seconds for it to show the new position after you move the mouse. The images aren't super hi-res, but they are PDFs. Maybe that's the problem?

4 minutes ago, KEC said:

Yes, it's very slow. Dragging the images is very difficult because of the lag. Like seconds for it to show the new position after you move the mouse. The images aren't super hi-res, but they are PDFs. Maybe that's the problem?

I don't know if you having the same experience is a good thing or not! I was hoping you didn't on the one hand.

Seeing how the PDFs are actually images inside a PDF container, select one, right-click and choose rasterize, then select the other one and do the same. It will perform much better.

I also have another weirdness. That is, when opening the file it APub tells me I have Arial Black missing. But I don't. The so-called Font Manager shows all is fine, but as can be seen in the upper left, the text field shows the missing font question mark...

capture-002228.png.c2042d09692ad25c07b22001386cfe2f.png

1 hour ago, KEC said:

I looked for a way to tell this one text frame to ignore text wrap, but I don't see anything at first glance? Any ideas?

In the Text Frame panel, with that frame selected, "Ignore Text Wraps".

image.png.6f89f473b1351d513c9d08b5e25c4d31.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

53 minutes ago, MikeW said:

I also have another weirdness. That is, when opening the file it APub tells me I have Arial Black missing. But I don't. The so-called Font Manager shows all is fine, but as can be seen in the upper left, the text field shows the missing font question mark...

Interesting. I see the same behavior, Mike.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.