You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

cut out studio

• Staff
14 minutes ago, magicdesign__ said:

Can anyone shine any light on this please?

This feature does not belong in Publisher as explained here 

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/65872-image-cutout-studio/&tab=comments#comment-340962

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

The photo persona will only be enabled if you also own Affinity Photo (v1.7 once released), and the "cutout studio" approach is not part of Affinity Photo, though removing backgrounds is a basic function

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 4 months later...
On 11/1/2018 at 12:09 PM, Patrick Connor said:

The photo persona will only be enabled if you also own Affinity Photo (v1.7 once released), and the "cutout studio" approach is not part of Affinity Photo, though removing backgrounds is a basic function

It sounds like, from within Publisher, if you own Photo you will be able to access its features from within Publisher (without switching to the Photo program). Is this correct?

Windows 11 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP, AD & APub

41 minutes ago, fde101 said:

a subset of them is our current understanding

Too bad. I was in hopes that Affinity was moving toward a single product that combined all of the features of Photo and Designer. I have no need of Publisher, but I would buy a product that combined all three - as long as it included *all* of the features of Photo and Designer. 

Windows 11 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP, AD & APub

2 minutes ago, casterle said:

I was in hopes that Affinity was moving toward a single product that combined all of the features of Photo and Designer.

This has been discussed elsewhere on the forums and is evidently not the current intent.

• 3 months later...
On 9/19/2018 at 11:56 AM, Patrick Connor said:

I beg to differ. With Page Plus it was EXACTLY where it belonged. My needs and purposes have not changed. I needed it there before, I need it there now.

3 hours ago, Yzerwing said:

I needed it there before, I need it there now.

if you have both Publisher and Photo, you can access the main Photo persona of Photo from within Publisher.  This has the features that would generally be most useful for these kinds of tasks and is only a click away...  I can't speak to how it compares to the cut-out studio as I have never done anything significant with the older Windows products (no Mac versions...)

• 1 year later...

If you use Affinity Publisher stand-alone you won't have the chance to cut out images using the 'select brush'. However, if you have purchased Affinity Photo as well, a whole new set of functions is offered to you within Affinity Publisher (just switch to the Photo Persona - and almost all functions of Affinity Photo are available to you).

FWIW – Although there are no cut out tools in Publisher (as there are in Photo), you can use shapes or the Pen Tool in Publisher to clip an image. This may help with some images, depending what final effect you need.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad