You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF security features lacking in Designer

One of the things I remember about using Acrobat was the ability to restrict printing, saving and exporting. This helped me on a couple of occasions when I wanted to stop someone saving a sensitive document. I wanted them to view only. CorelDraw has this feature built into its PDF export options too. Unless I am missing something, Affinity Designer (and Publisher) lacks such security features. Any chance of including them at some point?

Securing PDF files is a feature that belongs in a PDF editor, I think; although it would be handy if we could export secured PDF files directly from the Affinity apps themselves.

I use the free version of PDF-XChange Editor to read, comment on and secure PDF files. The free version is quite capable, and placing security on PDF files is simple. https://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-editor

Open your Affinity generated PDF file in the XChange Editor, open the document properties (under FILE or use CTRL-D), and select the Security tab. Click the "Apply Security Policy" button, and add a new policy "Add New-->Password Security". In the dialog select a PDF compatibility (version 9 or later is best), and tick the "Restrict editing and printing..." checkbox. You must set a password. Then adjust the document's permissions as you require at the bottom of the dialog.

Finally, name your new security policy setting, and click OK. Select the new policy in the list, and hit "Apply to Document". You must then save the document.

The next time you just have to open the document settings, and click the "Apply Security Policy" dropdown button to select the security setting, and save your pdf.

Simple, and completely free! No Adobe rubbish! :)

PS I LOATHE the Adobe Reader: it's one piece of garbage software. The free version of XChange Editor is far faster, leaner, and even the free version allows the user to add annotations/custom stamps, save these and change the security which we have to pay for to be able to do with Adobe Acrobat. Don't get me started how atrociously bad the Adobe Reader is. >:(