Daniel Belchí

Why Designer shows brush strokes on screen best rendered than Photo

It's something that I can't understand. I'm mostly a raster painter but I prefer Affinity Designer than Affinity Photo to paint with raster brushes because in the act of painting, Affinity Photo shows some kind of blur meanwhile you're painting. Affinity Designer, however, don't. I'm talking about the same including brushes. Why happens this?? I hoped a fix for this in the new Affinity Photo version, but it isn't. :57_cry:

Sure! As you see, when I'm painting the line of the brush it's pixelated (also clipped, but this doesn't happen often) (IMG_0040.PNG). When I stop drawing (IMG_0041.PNG), the line it's perfect, like in Affinity Designer all the time (while painting and when stop painting).

Why this occurs? Am I the only one with this bug? Is it due to the brush engine? Is it different than the Affinity Designer one?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_0040.PNG

IMG_0041.PNG

I'm trying to understand the situation you describe, here.... Let me know if I got it right, please.... :

Do you mean that in AP when painting, you kind of notice that all image turns to a less sharp thing temporarily ? I believe this is how their engine works for optimization reasons. I kind of noticed that a lot more before, but after certain update, is probably there, but I have not paid attention or noticed. Maybe is more noticed in one mode or another (you can try different rendering systems in preferences, I believe... )

Referred to AD , now: If you mean that you see a raster,  bit more crude and aliased, jagged line borders first brush line, and when you release the brush, then it builds a totally smooth line (the vector) based on it... Yes, this is the normal way that it works in A. Designer.(I used to have my issues in how it "vectorized" but has been many updates ago since I tried to actually hand paint with AD.)

If I understood well your situation in both cases, then, yep, is how the engines work. (to my very very little knowledge about it )

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.  Wacom Intuos 4 XL.

Thanks for that, there are substantial differences between Photo and Designer, depending on which persona you're in.

When in Photo Persona, using the Paint Brush Tool, you're painting with a raster brush and the line will not be as smooth as it will be anti-aliased on the document. This can be seen by simply zooming into a brush stroke on the page, the edges will be pixelated.

Unlike in Photo, when in the Vector persona of Designer, you're using a Vector Brush Tool which will create a Vector curve rather than a pixel based one. There is a different brush engine for the Vector Brush tool over the Paint Brush tool from Photo, when drawing curves using the Vector Brush tool they may appear less smooth than when you release and create the curve, as explained by SrPx above :)
Again, the quickest way of seeing the difference is by zooming into a stroke on Designer and comparing this to a brush stroke in Photo!

No, no, no, I know Affinity Designer works with vectors and Affinity Photo works with raster graphics and between both there are substancial differences. I know that. What I mean (sorry if I've not been clear enough) is that the renderer engine in Affinity Designer Pixel Persona (raster mode) works better than Affinity Photo in so far as when painting the brush strokes show sharp every time. Affinity Photo only shows brush strokes sharp when you stop painting. While you are painting a stroke it appears pixelated, maybe because the Affinity Photo's engine needs to do that to keep the system flowing (but in that case, why Affinity Designer doesn't need to do it?).

Try it with a thin line (6 px, for example) and notice it. I'm always talking about the iPad's apps, ok?

Thanks so much for your answers! :13_upside_down:

By apologies, thanks for clarifying!

I've spoken with our QA team and this issue was spotted yesterday by one of its members, Photo should not be making 2 render passes when drawing, it should act like Designers Pixel brush.

This has been passed through to our devs, and I'll move this thread to our bugs section now. Thanks for bringing this to our attention :)

Ouch, ran out of likes !  thank you very much, both of you.  :) B|

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.  Wacom Intuos 4 XL.