You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to 'transform' the size of a newly-pasted image?

In Photoshop you can paste an image from your Mac 'clipboard' onto a PS layer, then press [cmd]T to resize the pasted image on that layer (without needing to resize the whole PS file's image).

I can't replicate that behaviour in Affinity Photo and resize the image after pasting onto a layer (NB: I don't want to seize the WHOLE Affinity Photo file, as that needs to stay the same size - I just need to resize the image I've pasted in).

• 1 month later...

Hi!

Is there a way to see the size in pixels of the object that you are transforming? And the x,y coordinates of the object on the canvas?

Thanks!

Mary

Hi stevepitman,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

After pasting the image, select the Move tool, click on the image and resize it from the corners, dragging the bounding box control handle.

That's a more easy way than Photoshop, amazing.

• 6 months later...

Can anyone offer any advise - I'm manually transforming a layer (shrinking it in proportion) but the quality is effected a lot. Is there a way to prevent this? I understand that choosing a different resampling method when resizing to a specific size using the menu is the answer normally but I need to be able to manually change it without knowing the pixels size.

ckgdm, if you go into Preferences > Performance > View quality is this set to Nearest Neighbor or Bilinear?  This should only affect the quality of what is seem on the screen, not your output.  Not sure if that is what you are meaning.

I'm assuming you are talking about AD not AP.

I hope this helps.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Thanks for that. I am in Affinity Photo. What I am doing is taking screen grabs and placing them on top of a monitor graphic to replicate the look of viewing a website on a computer screen. The quality of the screen grab after I have manually shrunk it seems worse than if I were to just zoom out for example. My settings are set to Bilinear. The quality does seem better in the output than when working on the project though

• 7 months later...

Only moaning. Move tool doesn't work when I've chosen 'SOME' options before. God knows what was it, I can't remember, project started from scratch and cmd-v'ed image behaves bad - I can't select it, I can't move it, I can't scale it, I can't do any operations on it.

Because I've chosen some options before, that's ok that pasted image behaves like a little b****, but after opening a project again it should let me to act normally.

Sorry about that rant, but I'm really trying to jump onto Affinity from PS, so it's crucial for me that it works as I want. Supplementing this - I've tried all known methods to work on pasted image, but it's one big failure. 

Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

Only moaning. Move tool doesn't work when I've chosen 'SOME' options before. God knows what was it, I can't remember, project started from scratch and cmd-v'ed image behaves bad - I can't select it, I can't move it, I can't scale it, I can't do any operations on it.

Because I've chosen some options before, that's ok that pasted image behaves like a little b****, but after opening a project again it should let me to act normally.

Sorry about that rant, but I'm really trying to jump onto Affinity from PS, so it's crucial for me that it works as I want. Supplementing this - I've tried all known methods to work on pasted image, but it's one big failure. 

Any suggestions?

Hi,

had the same problem ... turned out to be caused by snapping. turned that off and all was well.

• 3 months later...

ckgdm, if you go into Preferences > Performance > View quality is this set to Nearest Neighbor or Bilinear?  This should only affect the quality of what is seem on the screen, not your output.  Not sure if that is what you are meaning.

I'm assuming you are talking about AD not AP.

I hope this helps.

Perfect advice! Worked for me! Thank you so much!!

• 1 year later...

Thanks for this answer. I was doing all kinds of contortions with cropping tool, select tool, selecting layers, transform. Finally with the right answer, it's easy as pie and very intuitive. Perhaps the software should come with a hammer that hits you over the head when you open the box to let new users know how to resize layers.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.