tomO2013

Slow performance - Affinity Photo - Serif RAW

Hi,

I've purchased Affinity Photo and Designer not too long ago and only recently started to take the time to try and transition away from Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop.

I'm a little disappointed to find that opening a basic Fuji RAF RAW file from my XT2 on version 1.6.5.123 of Affinity Photo is very slow.

The actual RAW file opens in 29 seconds (timed)  - compared to practically instant with On1, Luminar, Capture One, heck even Lightroom!

Furthermore the Raw develop persona sliders once a photo has loaded are very unresponsive e.g. if I slide back and forth on the Exposure slider a few times, you can see the preview window get slower and slower to update.

Workstation Configuration

• Windows 10 build 1803
  • AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4GHZ cooled
  • 64GB DDR4 3600
  • Samsung SSD 960 Pro 
  • Dual SLI 1080 TI graphics cards.

In short there is no reason that I can tell for performance to be so laggy (I've also confirmed that there are no significant background tasks hogging performance).

I checked with a Panasonic G9 RW2 raw also to confirm that this isn't specifically a problem with the Fuji Raw files (XTrans). While they don't take as long to load, they do still take an unacceptably long time to load - heck even a progress bar would be nice to show user feedback that something is happening.... it just sits there for 20 seconds or so this time before displaying the image!

Please can you confirm if you are seeing the same problem opening the sample file. 

Thanks,

Tom.

XT225511.RAF

P1012658.RW2

I can not help you but I can at least let you know that you are not alone with your observations and frustration.

It's unfortunate that feedback of this sort remains unanswered. What you write is not only merely a complaint – you make at the same time clear that the Affinity Suite of tools still appears appealing to you, overall. This although Aphoto needs insane 30 seconds (on your more than decent machine) to open up a single RAW file, which indeed loads instantly practically everywhere else.

The fact that Affinity doesn't offer a RAW workspace which which is only remotely on par with the competition, performance wise is a mayor problem for anyone who works with RAW, has a need for further composition – and wants to make the switch from Photoshop. Using  external RAW editors for development instead – and bringing these file into a layer based compositing package to add text and other detail is a needless workflow complication and source of error. Adobe offers nobrainer solutions for the same task.

As much as I loathe Adobe's business model – I am more and more considering subscribing to that damn Cloud. Because things just work.

That's something I wrote yesterday in another thread:

I think that the present implementation architecture completely disregards in what ways many people work with RAW – and what performance standards do apply. I certainly will not wait for 10 seconds for a camera image to open, when I can browse through whole libraries of (true)RAWs in the same time. Things might change with the possible release of a DAM which (again possibly) includes a Develop workspace which would allow for for editing in an 'inside folder / across all images of the session situation' ... But I think one should offer something more meaningful and compatible (> sidecars) for the meantime.

I think it was time to rethink how Affinity deals with RAW files.

Hi Tom,

the issue has been discussed here plenty of times. Serif has stated a couple of times that the developers are working on improvement. Unfortunately nobody knows when the improvements will be implemented and available to the users.

But: Affinity Photo is marketed as a potential replacement for Photoshop. It is not a digital asset manager nor has it raw developement in its focus. The purpose is editing photos. So the best way to go is (currently) sticking to Lightroom for developement and management of photos. Both programs play together nicely so you can always develop your photos with Camera Raw (in Lightroom) and then hand over the photo (as a tiff or anything else) to Affinity Photo.

I guess it is fair to say that Affinity Photo does a great job when it comes to editing, but a less greater when it comes to developement. From you post I assume that you have a licence for Lightroom - stick to it.

Best,
Volker

6 hours ago, VolkerMB said:

But: Affinity Photo is marketed as a potential replacement for Photoshop. It is not a digital asset manager nor has it raw developement in its focus. The purpose is editing photos.

Photoshop in itself is a full blown RAW editor* – it comes with exactly the same engine as Lightroom.
If you throw a single RAW or a whole folder of RAWs into Photoshop its ACR workspace opens.
After the development on may switch to  Photoshops classic layer based compositing workspace.

I have edited thousands of RAW files and never touched Lightroom.

* @Mark IngramPhotoshop has been a RAW editor since the introduction of Adobe Camera Raw in 2003 > Link to Wikipedia (unfortuntely only available in German).

So, the key appears to be ACR used by both Lightroom and Photoshop. Is the develop persona going to become as useful as ACR in the future?

Inquiring minds want to know. ;-)

Solly

JFSJ

N3MKH

Yes - apart from that it's a top notch application.

For now, I'm using either Iridient X-Transformer (you should hire the single developer who built that application) or Silky Pix Raw Convertor 8 (provided by Fuji) to convert to TIFF and go from there.

Actually at this point in time I'm finding that Silky Pix is giving the nicest output RAW files to take as input to Affinity. They match the camera jpeg color engine perfectly and pull noticeably more detail than ACR.

However I'd like a one stop shop for both raw development and post processing - please fix this or provide an update on timelines Serif!

Thanks, 

I (and many others) have complained for a long time about the loading times for Fuji (RAF) files, typically 29+ seconds. I recently downloaded Iridient Transformer-X and converted my Fuji files to DNG's, (still keeping the original RAF in place) loading times are now typically 6 seconds - usable. If you tried Adobe DNG converter to do the same you will find that the load times are no better than the original RAF file.

Affinity Photo is a good replacement for LR, but for me using my Fuji X-T20 is was not usable, to say the least -frustrating, but now having converted the Fuji RAF's to DNG using Iridient X Transformer I am at last able to use the software.

You can download Iridient X Transformer on a 30 day trial free an try it out for yourself, or purchase it for less than $50, (no monthly subscription).

Thanks.

Next month (December 2016) was the first time I noticed the poor load times being reported of a Fuji RAF RAW file, and making any adjustments after the 30 second load time is still painfully slow, since then there has been no updates to help with this situation. That's 2 years ago, seems that the Affinity team does not want to address this problem, well they haven't for 2 years now, as for my previous post using Iridient Transformer has helped but it is not the complete answer. Why should I pay for a third party software just to make Affinity perform better.

I belong to a sizeable Camera Club which has several members also using Fuji products and Affinity, ALL report the same problem. It is hard to recommend software that does not perform well on a particular camera make.

20 hours ago, paulfanali said:

Looks as everyone using RAW is complaining about speed. The speed is absolutely appalling. Useless RAW processing. No Batch AW processing at all. Very disappointing. Cannot recommend to anyone till this is fixed.

Thank you for your feedback.

I am shooting with Fuji XT3 and find the RAF files will not open correctly in Affinity. At this point the software is unusable for me. Any suggestions please??

Hi Gene XT3,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
This model is not yet supported by our RAW engine (you can check the supported RAW cameras here). Affinity Photo 1.7 (available as a Customer Beta in a couple weeks) should provide support for more models (I can't guarantee(know if the Fuji XT3 will be one of them though).

On 10/12/2018 at 2:09 AM, tomO2013 said:

Actually at this point in time I'm finding that Silky Pix is giving the nicest output RAW files to take as input to Affinity. They match the camera jpeg color engine perfectly and pull noticeably more detail than ACR.

I've noticed similar. Fuji RFC/SilkyPix8.x is really quite exceptional in terms of rendering, especially when compared to other RAW engines. I've a bit of a comparison in my thread here that confirms your findings:

Hi MEB, Just to update you on the new Beta ver 1.7.0.188 regarding very slow opening of Fuji RAFs, vast improvement over the 1.6.5.123. Load times are now down from 30 seconds to 8 seconds, slider responses are also improved - now usable for me - thank you.

David Taylor

2 hours ago, David Taylor said:

Hi MEB, Just to update you on the new Beta ver 1.7.0.188 regarding very slow opening of Fuji RAFs, vast improvement over the 1.6.5.123. Load times are now down from 30 seconds to 8 seconds, slider responses are also improved - now usable for me - thank you.

David Taylor

Just wait until the Windows build can use the GPU for effects rendering/compositing, not just drawing to the display. Should be a MASSIVE boost.

14 hours ago, Saijin_Naib said:

Just wait until the Windows build can use the GPU for effects rendering/compositing, not just drawing to the display. Should be a MASSIVE boost.

Is it going to be in the final version of 1.7?

4 hours ago, toopi said:

Is it going to be in the final version of 1.7?

MacOS version has it already, NFI on the Windows version. I would hope they reach feature parity on a major feature like that prior to release :|

10 hours ago, Saijin_Naib said:

MacOS version has it already, NFI on the Windows version. I would hope they reach feature parity on a major feature like that prior to release :|

Yeah..  I read the "New Features" for 1.7, and I didn't find it being mentioned.
I hope it will be implemented in 1.8.
And since it's a big feature upgrade, they could even call it 2.0.