Phil K.

cannot select and move an object

Hey Phil K., welcome to the Affinity Forums.

This was reported to the developers a while back as the behaviour seemed to change with an update. I'll let them know it is still frustrating users.

This has been a problem for some time now...It doesn’t matter which update the behavior changed, it is still occurring in 1.6.2.42

iPad Pro 9.7” (A1674), Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45

On 9/20/2018 at 7:01 AM, Phil K. said:

This has been a problem for some time now...It doesn’t matter which update the behavior changed, it is still occurring in 1.6.2.42

Beware of it: this solution is for Affinity Designer NOT Affinity Photo!! So I hope de developers will fix it for Photo too!!!

iMac 27", iPad Pro 12,9", Apple Pencil.

Solution is here.

IPad Pro 10.5/512GB iOS 12.4. Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 Affinity Design 1.7.2.6 Publisher for iPad ?

This is not an acceptable ‘solution’.  Selecting and moving objects should be about the easiest thing for a user to perform in a design application.  It should work consistently and smoothly.  They need to fix this issue.

3 hours ago, Phil K. said:

It should work consistently and smoothly.  They need to fix this issue.

Nobody is suggesting that this 'bug' has been resolved. I imagine the devs are working to fix this and many other bugs that have been reported by users. In the meantime l am willing to try any workarounds that are suggested rather than simply wait for the next update.

IPad Pro 10.5/512GB iOS 12.4. Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 Affinity Design 1.7.2.6 Publisher for iPad ?

I never implied that the bug has been resolved.  Because the bug has not been resolved.  I stand by what I said

"It should work consistently and smoothly.  They need to fix this issue."

IF you disagree with what I've said that's one thing, but this is my (and other individuals reason for spending time bringing up this issue) single most major problem with this application. 

I have also been hesitant to use Designer on the iPad due to this issue. It annoys me to the extent that any and all desire to draw or illustrate is thrown out the window. Shouldn't such an experience breaking bug/issue've been noticed during alpha/beta/testing?

@Chris B

I figured out that the problem is because they have designed the app to be used using fingers. Which is great!  But when using the apple pen the experience is awkward and give the frustrating  impression of lack of accuracy.

the app needs to be smart in recognizing if the touch is being given with a finger or a precision tool (apple pen), what doesn’t happens now.

I’ve measured the “sensitive-active area” of the Hot corners of the object. Here what I’ve found:

Any touch point inside of the circles areas  will transform the object. That’s why it’s so difficult to move an object if it’s already selected. The space you have to move it is easily mistakable by the huge active corners areas.

I would reduce the active area of the corners in 85% then we will see accuracy using a precision tool again.

7DF5D661-ADA6-4762-AB2C-1F8BC35A25D2.jpeg

865AA7AB-5C6D-4E0C-9BDB-A6FA2028951F.jpeg

May also explain why the effect appears worse on smaller screens when unzoomed.

Maybe a toggle for 'sensitive' area size based on Touch for Gestures only setting, as a way to tell when Apple Pencil is preferred to fingers for selections. As is, when off and much smaller when on.

16 minutes ago, DM1 said:

May also explain why the effect appears worse on smaller screens when unzoomed.

Maybe a toggle for 'sensitive' area size based on Touch for Gestures only setting, as a way to tell when Apple Pencil is preferred to fingers for selections. As is, when off and much smaller when on.

Yep!

It would definitely help if the area around the touch point were smaller, like really small.  Even if I use my finger to attempt to select an object, it doesn’t register as a selection but instead periodically attempts to create a bounding box.  The video below was taken while only using my finger.

Worth noting too that the most recent release was simply a hotfix for the importing of Styles. No other fixes included according to mods here.

Hopefully a release addressing the many other Issues reported by users will be released sooner rather than later. 9_9

After the last update 18/11/2018 it seems to be improved, but not completely solved. Still transforms accidentally.

by comparison I tested the behavior using the app Graphic and the experience is much better. And they don’t standardize the app as a PRO tool. So AD for iPad is now on my opinion below of the line of amateur app.

I really recommend the Affinity devs to test the competitor Graphic for IPad.