You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

23 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

It looks almost right, but if you want the width to be 15.00 cm instead of 14.99 cm you need it to be 1772 pixels, not 1770.

why do need to select pixels if you want cm. Can you tell me what the difference is between Absolute Dimension & Custom Ratio

23 hours ago, IanSG said:

I've a feeling we're ignoring the elephant in the room - why do you need to crop in AP and then go back to PS?

3 hours ago, debbru said:

I'm cropping in AP because PS is doing funny things when I'm trying to crop

Why are you going back to PS after cropping, instead of just staying in APh? :/

2 hours ago, debbru said:

why do need to select pixels if you want cm. Can you tell me what the difference is between Absolute Dimension & Custom Ratio

You shouldn’t need to select pixels. I was merely pointing out that the dialog showed 14.99 cm when it should have shown 15.00 cm, and I was attempting to explain the discrepancy in terms of the expected number of pixels for 15 cm at 300 dpi.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

why do need to select pixels if you want cm.

The number of pixels together with the dpi determine the dimensions of the image. So, since 1 inch = 2.54 cm, 15 cm is about 5.905 inches. At 300 dpi (actually here pixels per inch), you need about 1,771.653 pixels to cover 15 cm. Round that off to 1772 & you get the value @αℓƒяє∂ suggested.

Can you tell me what the difference is between Absolute Dimension & Custom Ratio

Absolute dimensions are expressed in unit values, like cm, mm, px, or inch. So for example in absolute dimensions an image might be 15 cm wide by 10 cm high. Ratios do not have units because they just specify the proportion of one number to another. So for example, a 15x10 cm & a 3x2 cm image both have to same ratio of width to height (because 15:10 & 3:2 are the same ratio).

Note that because of this, a custom ratio of 3:2 & of 2:3 are not the same. The first is a 'landscape' ratio (because the width is greater than the height) while the second is a 'portrait' one (because the height is greater than the width).

The tl;dr version is it is all about the mathematical principles these things are based on.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

54 minutes ago, debbru said:

How do I send you a screenshot

What do you mean? You’ve already attached screenshots of dialogs from Photoshop, so you obviously know how to take screenshots and how to attach them to your posts.

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

What do you mean? You’ve already attached screenshots of dialogs from Photoshop, so you obviously know how to take screenshots and how to attach them to your posts.

1 hour ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

I mean a screenshot in AP

30 minutes ago, IanSG said:

So far as I know there's no built in Screenshot feature in PS, so it's whatever you did before.

I see from earlier threads that @debbru is a Windows user, so one way would be to use the Snipping Tool which is included with all recent versions of Windows.

Alfred spacer.png

36 minutes ago, debbru said:

My parents bought me Affinity Photo for my Birthday & this is the website they bought it from https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/desktop/

If you click on the Green "Buy For Mac" button on that page, it takes you to a preview page for the Mac App Store ("MAS" for short). The Affinity Store sells the workbooks & the Windows versions of the Affinity apps, but MAS sells the Mac retail versions.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 9/25/2018 at 8:46 PM, R C-R said:

The number of pixels together with the dpi determine the dimensions of the image. So, since 1 inch = 2.54 cm, 15 cm is about 5.905 inches. At 300 dpi (actually here pixels per inch), you need about 1,771.653 pixels to cover 15 cm. Round that off to 1772 & you get the value @αℓƒяє∂ suggested.

Absolute dimensions are expressed in unit values, like cm, mm, px, or inch. So for example in absolute dimensions an image might be 15 cm wide by 10 cm high. Ratios do not have units because they just specify the proportion of one number to another. So for example, a 15x10 cm & a 3x2 cm image both have to same ratio of width to height (because 15:10 & 3:2 are the same ratio).

Note that because of this, a custom ratio of 3:2 & of 2:3 are not the same. The first is a 'landscape' ratio (because the width is greater than the height) while the second is a 'portrait' one (because the height is greater than the width).

The tl;dr version is it is all about the mathematical principles these things are based on.

I'm still having trouble with cropping so I've attached a screenshot so hopefully you can tell help me further 

40 minutes ago, debbru said:

I'm still having trouble with cropping so I've attached a screenshot so hopefully you can tell help me further 

I do not see any screenshot attached to your last post, but it would also help if you explained more about the specific issues that are giving you trouble with cropping.

Affinity Photo 

4 hours ago, debbru said:

I'm trying to crop 15cm x 10cm with aspire of 300.

Are you perhaps referring to the print resolution (i.e. 300 DPI)? Anyway, I think you should concentrate on cropping to the correct aspect ratio (15:10 or 3:2) first, and only deal with the size and resolution after you’ve isolated the desired portion of the image.

Alfred spacer.png

33 minutes ago, debbru said:

Could you please tell me I would crop to the dimensions of 15cm x 10cm

Enter 15 & 10 in the context toolbar with the crop mode set to Absolute Dimensions:1449770977_cropabsolute.jpg.1b5aeff5598a2a54d113862bc960ae30.jpg

However, don't be surprised if the values are not exactly 15 & 10 cm respectively after you enter them, like 14.99 & 9.99. This is because the Crop tool will automatically crop to the nearest whole pixel dimensions (because there are no fractional pixels).

Affinity Photo 

4 minutes ago, debbru said:

I just tried cropping to a 15cm x 10cm (as you can see in the screenshot), can you tell me why I’ve got a portrait crop box instead of a vertical crop box.

crop.jpg.33af983e03f26148e73e49c42f4f9af1.jpg

Affinity Photo