You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How much too big?

Which app?

Which Operating System 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

A possibility
Create a new document with the desired aspect ratio 15 * 10 cm
Open the picture to be cropped, menu bar-File-Place...
With the Move Tool (Shortcut V) you can freely scale the image,
to get the desired image detail. (use the handles) and rasterise.

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)

7 minutes ago, IanSG said:

Are you sure your crop was to absolute dimensions?  28.8x19.2 is the same ratio as 15x10.

28.8 × 19.2 is indeed the same ratio as 15 × 10 — well spotted! — but 28.8 × 19.22 (as shown in the screenshot) is not. detective.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

For both fixed aspect ratios and absolute dimensions, the first value is the width and the second value is the height.

Alfred spacer.png

5 hours ago, debbru said:

I thought I was cropping an image to a 15 x 10 but as you can see from the screenshot the dimensions are too big, I'm cropping in AF & I use a Mac224143722_ScreenShot2018-09-19at4_50_06pm.png.82ae0ea01478240c7ee1226958a40ad2.png

I'm a bit confused by that screenshot. It looks like you're in Document Setup. For cropping I would usually use the Crop Tool.

Are you trying to crop (remove part of the image) or merely to resize the existing image while keeping all of the content?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I'm sorry I confused you with that screenshot. I'm still learning how to use AF after using PS for years. I took that screenshot once I imported the picture back Into PS. I'm trying to crop (part of the image). Could you please give me steps to follow or screenshots. 

It might be best for you to start by watching one of the tutorials. For example, Cropping: Practical.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

8 hours ago, debbru said:

Thank you for the video tutorial. If you put in preset, like I want a 15 x 10, does it keep the same Ratio or does it change the dimensions.

A size like 15 cm x 10 cm is an absolute size. A ratio would show as 15 : 10, and with that one you could change the size of the cropped selection but it would maintain that aspect ratio.

-- Walt
PC:

On 9/21/2018 at 2:13 AM, debbru said:

Thank you for your reply. When I pick crop, what do I choose unconstrained, Original Ratio, Custom Ratio or Absolute Dimensions? Do I put 15 in where it says width & put 10 in Depth.

That depends on what you're doing. But if you have an image larger than 15cm x 10cm (width, height) and you want to crop out a 15cm x 10cm piece of it to use, you would use Absolute Dimensions, put 15cm in the width (not 15, but 15cm) and 10cm in the height. Then you would move the crop box around to select the part of the image that you want to save, and press Apply.

-- Walt
PC:

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

use Absolute Dimensions, put 15cm in the width (not 15, but 15cm) and 10cm in the height

If your document units are centimetres you shouldn’t need to specify cm, but it won’t do any harm to do so.

Alfred spacer.png

5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

That depends on what you're doing. But if you have an image larger than 15cm x 10cm (width, height) and you want to crop out a 15cm x 10cm piece of it to use, you would use Absolute Dimensions, put 15cm in the width (not 15, but 15cm) and 10cm in the height. Then you would move the crop box around to select the part of the image that you want to save, and press Apply.

Thank you I will try that, when I put the value i, should change the units to centimetres 

1 hour ago, debbru said:

Thank you I will try that, when I put the value i, should change the units to centimetres 

Using the Absolute Dimensions crop mode, if you do not include a units suffix, the app will default to using the document units. (One way to tell what the document units are set to is to click on the View Tool -- it looks like a hand -- & refer to the Context toolbar, where there is a "Units:" popup displaying the current document units setting. You can also change the document units using that popup.)

But you can enter the width and/or height field values using any units you want by including the appropriate unit suffix (like mm, cm, in, px, or whatever) in the field, & Affinity Photo will automatically convert them to the current document units. You can even use one unit type for width & another for height, like 20 cm by 2000 px if you want.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

14 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Thank you for your help. When I choose centimetres the width & Height change, so I have to put them in again. Does this sound correct? Can you change the Resolution to 300 instead of 350

7 hours ago, R C-R said:

Using the Absolute Dimensions crop mode, if you do not include a units suffix, the app will default to using the document units. (One way to tell what the document units are set to is to click on the View Tool -- it looks like a hand -- & refer to the Context toolbar, where there is a "Units:" popup displaying the current document units setting. You can also change the document units using that popup.)

But you can enter the width and/or height field values using any units you want by including the appropriate unit suffix (like mm, cm, in, px, or whatever) in the field, & Affinity Photo will automatically convert them to the current document units. You can even use one unit type for width & another for height, like 20 cm by 2000 px if you want.

Can you tell me to Context toolbar is please. I'm sorry I'm asking all these question but I'm still learning after having been using PS for a long time.

The Context toolbar is the second toolbar below the main toolbar. Its contents change depending on the tool selected.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

10 minutes ago, debbru said:

can you tell me if I'm doing the right thing

It looks almost right, but if you want the width to be 15.00 cm instead of 14.99 cm you need it to be 1772 pixels, not 1770.

Alfred spacer.png

2 hours ago, debbru said:

Thank you for you email. I've cropped to 15 cm x 10 cm & exported it back into PS.

I've a feeling we're ignoring the elephant in the room - why do you need to crop in AP and then go back to PS?

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10