You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo and Designer crash if trying to open an afpub file

They should just tell you that they can't open that file, not crash. Are you trying to open the APub files from within the Photo and Designer (File > Open) or are you doing an "Open with..." right click from the finder?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

29 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

They should just tell you that they can't open that file, not crash. Are you trying to open the APub files from within the Photo and Designer (File > Open) or are you doing an "Open with..." right click from the finder?

File > Open.

I thought they would give me an error, but nope.

Perhaps I'm using outdated versions — 161 for AD and 167 for APho. Those numbers do seem slightly lower than what I recall upgrading on my Windows machine recently. (I've only just tried this on Mac.)

Just out of curiosity I just tried this on Windows. In AD, it has a COMPLETELY different behavior - it actually treats the afpub file like a PDF, with the same relative editability.

(Not the same effect I am hoping they'll get around to of making the afpub format interchangeable with all three apps, but definitely better!)

Hi toupee, just out of curiosity what is the version number on Windows?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Windows versions have been updated more lately than the Mac versions. Serif may have built in some functionality with APub in mind. You will need to wait for the next versions of AD/AP for adequate compatibility with APub. As a beta tester of APub, you know that everything around is not properly in place yet. If you are not playing with betas, that is a non-issue.

You need the apps to be on the same version or higher than the one the file has been saved in. Our current releases are 1.6 but Publisher is 1.7 so when Photo and Designer become 1.7 you will be able to open publisher files in those. But it should give an error a the moment not crash so I shall look into that

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Great, thanks!

I obviously didn't expect this to actually work yet but was just curious to see what would happen. If I can save somebody from losing a few steps of work who has the same curiosity and might not have saved in advance, thought it may be worth a mention!

5 hours ago, toupee said:

I obviously didn't expect this to actually work yet but was just curious to see what would happen. If I can save somebody from losing a few steps of work who has the same curiosity and might not have saved in advance, thought it may be worth a mention!

As @Old Bruce mentioned earlier, if you try to open an APub file in Designer or Photo, you should get a descriptive 'failed to open' message something like this one:
734087837_failedtoopen.jpg.22a379fe4fa630af56844e80be5192fa.jpg

I am not sure why you were not.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 year later...

With the latest 1.83 version for all three programs I also have the problem. When I open a simple publisher document image in an image frame and two text boxes and then try to open and modify that (with the gradient tool) in Photo it will hang / crash. As I understood that should not be the case, as it's told the file format would be similiar. But it seems not to be the case. When I create a similiar document directly in AP it works fine.
I can't attach the sample file which is 40 MB. I have uploaded it here (available till 23 april 2020): https://we.tl/t-8RNafKNa6s

2 hours ago, rpnfan said:

With the latest 1.83 version for all three programs I also have the problem. When I open a simple publisher document image in an image frame and two text boxes and then try to open and modify that (with the gradient tool) in Photo it will hang / crash. As I understood that should not be the case, as it's told the file format would be similiar. But it seems not to be the case. When I create a similiar document directly in AP it works fine.
I can't attach the sample file which is 40 MB. I have uploaded it here (available till 23 april 2020): https://we.tl/t-8RNafKNa6s

Friendly suggestion: For this problem, I believe you will get better results if you start your own topic in a more appropriate location.

I would suggest you create a new topic in (depending on your OS), either the MacOS or Windows part of Report a Bug in Affinity Publisher.

There are several problems with just posting this where you have:

• This topic was for a beta version of Publisher, and you are not using a beta version.
  • It was for an old beta version, before 1.8, so definitely not the version you're using.
  • It was not about the same bug you may be experiencing, but was related to sharing files between different versions of the applications, and the application failing to recognize that discrepancy.
  • It's an old thread, and no one from Serif is watching it or expecting any further discussion. You want their attention, and with a crash you have a bug, so its best to report it in the Bug forum so it's logged and tracked as a bug.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.