You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Templates for Books & Book Covers

It might me a bit too premature to start offering templates for books and cover pages for a project that is still in development.

Once Publisher hits v1. I'm sure templates for books and cover will be offered by both Affinity and users alike. :)

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Book covers really wouldn't be a good idea until such time as one can have more than a two-page spread. They would be single page documents, two-page at best without being able to change the spine (and or also flaps) without a lot of manual work.

Now, most of the time I do the covers in a single-page file, so changing the spine, which is dependent upon paper thickness isn't a bother to me, but it is prone to error unless one knows what to do with all the elements on the cover design. Having more than a two-page spread like in ID is far easier.

• 9 months later...

I absolutely agree. We Book designers waste a lot of time adjusting parameters - and that happens almost every time ;-(. We would also need a slug to be able to add extra information on the edge. But IF... if there would be an easier way to adjust spine and flaps ... yeppp, that would be a blessing!

I have a question about publishing books for print and creating book covers. 

Can we do that in Affinity Publisher?

i assumed this was a publishing program for books too.

Please advise as books are the primary type of content I publish. 

My hopes are to provide our authors with a  viable publishing option. 

Thank you very much for whatever light you can shed on the topic. 

On 6/25/2019 at 6:06 AM, Dvorah said:

I have a question about publishing books for print and creating book covers. 

Can we do that in Affinity Publisher?

i assumed this was a publishing program for books too.

Please advise as books are the primary type of content I publish. 

My hopes are to provide our authors with a  viable publishing option. 

Thank you very much for whatever light you can shed on the topic. 

You can create printed books and covers in Publisher. If your book covers need heavy image compositing, it's better to use Affinity photo.

There are some missing features that can be needed in some books, like footnotes/endnotes, running head based on paragraph/character styles, tables spanning through pages, support for rtl languages and vertical typography for CJK text. So put that in mind if you need any of them.

16 hours ago, toutou123 said:

There are some missing features that can be needed in some books, like ....... running head based on paragraph/character styles, ..........

Please explain why this is not possible in the current version of AP>

12 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Please explain why this is not possible in the current version of AP>

The software is less than 1 year old. They added a lot of features form the first beta till now, they'll work on adding more features by the time, you just need to be aware if the tools you need now are present now or not yet.

• 1 month later...

If you are in fact writing RPG books, there is an Affinity template available from the DM Guild website. It's designed to lay out books for Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition (the current one) but it includes a lot of what you need to lay out any RPG book (though you might want to adjust the fonts and the like). It is reportedly still a work in progress.

And I can personally relate to the challenge of locating a good "house style" template, which is what I am looking to do. A layout guy and I have been collaborating on my imprint's first module and I like some of the design decisions, especially regarding fonts, and would rather not have to start over on my next project. What I'm wondering is whether preferences of that sort ("I use this font for this type of text -- always", or "When I place text into my document, this is what I want it to looks li8ke:) can be readily saved for reuse without leading to difficulties.

I have something that works. Now I want to take advantage of it and use it again with much less effort the second time.

4 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

. What I'm wondering is whether preferences of that sort ("I use this font for this type of text -- always", or "When I place text into my document, this is what I want it to looks li8ke:) can be readily saved for reuse without leading to difficulties.

You can set defaults for text and other elements. search the help for ‚Object defaults‘.

Does this work for you.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

On 9/18/2018 at 7:00 AM, zorica3000 said:

Someone mentioned, in the Facebook Affinity Publisher group, that they would like book and book cover templates.  I think that's a great idea.  Can Affinity please create some book and book cover templates in Affinity Publisher?  Thank you!

Just purchased Affinity Publisher and it imports PDFs. I have used Apple's Pages extensively writing three books. Because Affinity Publisher can import PDFs, I have exported various Pages templates as PDFs and then imported them into Affinity Publisher. You can do that with ANY file. Grab any current Word.doc book template, create a PDF, then open it in Affinity Publisher. It may not be 100% accurate, but you might have to find tune your file some.

On 9/18/2018 at 3:00 PM, zorica3000 said:

Someone mentioned, in the Facebook Affinity Publisher group, that they would like book and book cover templates.  I think that's a great idea.  Can Affinity please create some book and book cover templates in Affinity Publisher?  Thank you!

You can find on internet a lot of books and book covers templates. Most of them can be easily imported into Publisher (Photo or Designer).

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

I would suggest that all these templates be deposited in a central place for all of us to easily find them.

I found one in Envato Market , but can no longer find it now when i searched. But i found this: https://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-create-a-stylish-magazine-layout-in-affinity-publisher--cms-31847

and this one which i downloaded

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/280882/Affinity-Publisher-Template-and-Beginners-Guide?filters=0_0_45476_0_0_0_0_0

iMac late 2012 / OS 10.14.6 / Affinity newbie /

• 2 weeks later...