You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Guides still disappearing/Guide Manager acting erratically

I noticed this on the first iteration and it hasn't been fixed yet.

Just started a document and created a master page. Added three or four guides to that and then clicked onto my first page (having applied the Master - not in spread view but just a single page on the screen) to find the guides were not visible so not able to place text against anything. Can't find a way to get them to show. This is such basic stuff that I must be missing something really obvious. Can't believe that nobody has noticed this yet if it is a bug that needs fixing. Starting a document, adding guides and then working with them seems such a crucial element of functionality. It looks to be exactly the same method as PagePlus does this. The only difference is that PagePlus's version works perfectly and this much awaited update doesn't. I would expect to be able to add guides to a master page, apply them to an individual page and when I go to that, see them.

I'm also having trouble selecting either my master or the individual page. The grey/blue selection around the thumbnail is not obvious which you are working on and at times, both the page and the master seem to be selected. The guides still don't show then so I can't really work on either.

Also the Guide Manager is acting erratically when trying to enter measurements. They keep greying out when entering figures and not moving the guides to the positions entered.

Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 12.28.59.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 12.29.35.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 12.47.54.png

When I add guides to a master page and subsequently apply that master page to a “regular” page, the guides will not show up on the “regular” page.

However, if I then add a guide to the “regular” page, the guides from the master page will show up as dotted lines—and objects will snap to these.

• Staff

Hi robkendrew,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I'm having trouble reproducing the third issue (enter measurements in the Guide Manager). Can you expand a little/give use more details please? Are you using a mouse, trackpad or pen/tablet? Do you have any menu utility that may be interfering with mouse clicks installed? Thanks.

25 minutes ago, robkendrew said:

Any chance of adding a keyboard shortcut to bring up the Guides Manager?

674037413_Guidesmgrshortcut.jpg.68948755df5000a71edb018eb053f13e.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 years later...

I am seeing the issue with guides disappearing: Version 1.9.2 on Windows 10.

I noticed that when I added a new master page for page numbering that my previously configured guides disappeared as soon as I add the second master page. I made sure to untick "replace existing". I tried it three times in case I was doing something wrong, but every time the guides disappear. If I go back to the guide's manager, I can see that it is now reset back to a default of 1 column by 1 row. If I undo that step and remove the new master, then the guides re-appear.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.