You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

In software house parlance that means don't hold your breath. That is a simple stock answer. I know, I'm a cynic :-)

Agreed. I especially love the "...several of our users" bit. Unfortunately, I think it confirms that we are in for a long wait from Nik.

I'm just hoping that the Affinity team can make some headway on the remaining components given that some have already been ported.

• Staff

Hi Travelling Man,

I believe it does make a difference. I agree with you that in the beginning it may be just an acknowledgement more than anything else, but if they start receiving quite a few requests they may do something about it even if they start small with maybe just one or two plug-ins to see how things go. If nobody cares to contact them or getting support then they will certainly won't do something about it. And it never hurts to try... it may take a while until things start to move on/gain traction but we must start somewhere....

Just for curiosity's sake, how did you guys get the following working:

Analog Efex Pro 2

Color Efex Pro 4

Silver Efex Pro 2

Did you have help from Nik, or was this done internally?

Hi Travelling Man,

I believe it does make a difference. I agree with you that in the beginning it may be just an acknowledgement more than anything else, but if they start receiving quite a few requests they may do something about it even if they start small with maybe just one or two plug-ins to see how things go. If nobody cares to contact them or getting support then they will certainly won't do something about it. And it never hurts to try... it may take a while until things start to move on/gain traction but we must start somewhere....

I really am cynical about this MEB :)  - I have never ever had a response like that and had anything happen. Maybe I shall be proven wrong in the years ahead but I certainly would not base future decisions on such a response. I guess there are many things that drive a software co to take action in something like this but one of the main ones must be the host software and the size of its user base. Not sure where AP fits in that but one thing for sure this DAM and Plugin stuff needs sorting pretty quickly if you are going to drag punters from PS.

Hi Simon--it is a 2-way street, so it would be helpful if you also submit a request to Nik that they support Affinity Photo. If more people request, I think they will pay attention.

Been there, done that.  :)

2020 MacBook Pro 13” M1 | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2019 iPad Air 3 10.5” | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

»A determined man can do more with a rusty screwdriver than a lazy man with a whole toolbox»

Just make sure you have the latest Versions of the Nik Collection installed and set proper paths in AP in the Plugins preference panel, like stated in post #7. No need for Nik support. At least it works for me this way.

I just tried this using '/Applications/Nik Collection/' in the "Plugin Search Folders" text box and '/' in the "Plugin Support Folders" text box. Nothing shows up in the "Detected Plugins" text box, even after a restart. Exactly how are you getting them working????

• Staff

Hi simonclivehughes,

In Plug-in Search Folders you have to to select the path where you have installed the plug-in files (.plugin).

If you have Photoshop installed the Nick Collection installer may have automatically installed the plug-in files inside /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC 2915/Plug-ins

If you have manually selected a specific folder you have to point to that folder. If you let the Nik Collection installer use the default locations clicking Next in all screens during the installation, the plug-in files are located in /Applications/Google

Then click Authorise Global and them Authorise in the dialog that will open and check Allow unknown plug-ins to be used.

You have to restart Affinity Photo for those settings take effect.

Hi,

I've tried the nik plugins. I followed the procedure of installation step by step and it works .... sometimes. :(

But after 2-3 times, when I try to open one plugin, it opens it two times. I believe one time as a standalone and another one as a plugin .. and because of that Affinity is blocked and I only have the option to Force quit. After I'm getting into this problem, I cannot get away even with restarting of Affinity. Does anybody has this problem ?

I have downloaded the plugin today .. so I believe is up to date.

Best regards,

Florin 

print screen.afphoto

Hi,

I've tried the nik plugins. I followed the procedure of installation step by step and it works .... sometimes. :(

But after 2-3 times, when I try to open one plugin, it opens it two times. I believe one time as a standalone and another one as a plugin .. and because of that Affinity is blocked and I only have the option to Force quit. After I'm getting into this problem, I cannot get away even with restarting of Affinity. Does anybody has this problem ?

I have downloaded the plugin today .. so I believe is up to date.

Best regards,

Florin 

I've got the same problem every now and then. I have to reset the AP to be able to use the plugin again.

To reset the AP, hold down the CTRL key when launching the AP and select all options that you want to reset.

2020 MacBook Pro 13” M1 | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2019 iPad Air 3 10.5” | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

»A determined man can do more with a rusty screwdriver than a lazy man with a whole toolbox»

From what I understood Nik Collection is not going too well after they have been bought by google.  Too bad, I liked it more than Topaz ... 

Since Nik Software became Nik Collection, it has only been a handful of updates from Google. Have started to use Tonality, but unfortunately it doesn't work with Affinity Photo. 

To those who received acknowledgement from Nik--that is a better response than I got. It tells me that they are starting to pay attention. Whether they can afford (or care) to update their product to support Affinity is another unknown....

I'm really a fan of On1 and DxO. They both have continued to keep their products current. However, Topaz has some really interesting tools that are a bit off the beaten path--might be nice for some more heavily filtered effects.

icounter--you might try demo-ing DxO Film Pack--it has BW films pre-loaded. It currently doesn't work with AP, but you can use it as a standalone product.

icounter--DxO also has Fuji film profiles, but it looks to me like your photo had some additional processing in the Fuji camera JPG engine. You can use Nik ColorEfex on a standard JPG (looks a bit like Bleach Bypass to me), then apply Fuji color/grain profile from DxO.

• 4 weeks later...

For what it's worth Dept. Here is Google's response to my request for Nik/ AP compatibility:

Thank you for contacting Nik by Google, I hope you are having a good day.

We are aware that some users would like to see the Nik Collection become compatible with Affinity Photo, however at this time this is not under development. We do take the requests and feedback we receive from our photographers seriously. In the future, with enough requests, we may update the software to be used with Affinity Photo, but currently it will only work with Adobe Photoshop, Elements, Lightroom and Apple Aperture. Thank you for using Nik by Google!

If you have any further questions, simply reply to this email and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Best Regards,

Mace

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 years later...
On 2/10/2016 at 1:17 AM, MEB said:

Hi simonclivehughes,

In Plug-in Search Folders you have to to select the path where you have installed the plug-in files (.plugin).

If you have Photoshop installed the Nick Collection installer may have automatically installed the plug-in files inside /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC 2915/Plug-ins

If you have manually selected a specific folder you have to point to that folder. If you let the Nik Collection installer use the default locations clicking Next in all screens during the installation, the plug-in files are located in /Applications/Google

Then click Authorise Global and them Authorise in the dialog that will open and check Allow unknown plug-ins to be used.

You have to restart Affinity Photo for those settings take effect.

Hi. I tried to install the new version but the button "Authorise global" is not active. What can I do ?

Then I finished the installation with our clicking on anything there but the active code it's not accepted. Are both problems connected ?

Thanks for your help

Screen Shot 2021-09-11 at 22.06.25.png

2 hours ago, ClaudeGJ said:

Hi. I tried to install the new version but the button "Authorise global" is not active. What can I do ?

That means Authorize Global is already enabled.

2 hours ago, ClaudeGJ said:

Then I finished the installation with our clicking on anything there but the active code it's not accepted.

What do you mean by "the active code it's not accepted"?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

A few weeks ago I purchased the Nik 4 collection from DxO and the attached image shows how I had to configure Affinity Photo (for Windows) to use every Nik module.

Note the plug-ins folders I'm using are not the same as what you are showing.

Also I had to enable the "Allow unknown plug-ins to be used" option so the Nik modules in the bin folder would work.

Now all Nik modules work great from Affinity Photo.

affinity-plugins.png