You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Master Pages - two issues (to start)

Hi there. I'm not sure if this is related to the latest Beta of AP or just a design flaw. Here goes...

For one, when I create a text box on a Master page and apply that parent page to a child page, the text box does not get transferred during that process. I then attempt to insert text with the text tool, but no text box is available on that page. Hmmm.

Next issue: I can't tell what KIND of page I'm on — master or child? As my screenshot shows, both master and child pages can be selected at once — they should deselect when its opposing page is selected, I think.

This also makes it confusing as to which KIND of page has the priority in the layers panel; the layers panel does not show me which page or what kind of page I'm working on. At times I have seen a locked master page icon in layers when I thought I was working on a child page. I watched the tutorials, but double clicking doesn't seem to work to choose one page over the other. Single clicking does - that's how I got the blue outlines in my screenshot.

I have extensive experience with Quark from years ago and recall being able to create transferable text boxes on master pages and that there was a clearer indication of "what was what" so I wouldn't be confused about which page I was working on.

I was actually typing content into the master/parent page, thinking I was on a child page. That's how all of this started.

Pls fix this, or there won't be any pudding after supper. :)

AffinityPublisher-master-pages-issue.png

My BOOK (created with Publisher, Designer & Photo):
Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way)

My WEBSITE (also developed using Affinity apps):
www.RolandK.ca — "Relentless adventures in self-expression"

[Power Mac & Intel PC (HighSierra/Monterey/Win 10]

Master pages don't work the way they do in inDesign or Quark. You need to work on pages themselves and manually put the first frame on the page and the you can add the rest of the frames automatically by shift-clicking bottom right triangle.

This is going to change in the future and will work more like inDesign and Quark. This is being worked on as we speak.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

I think a lot of us are coming from the older programs and expecting to find enough familiarity/similarity to justify a change to a new file format. So in my ideal world, Publisher will be as strong as the old guard of the publishing industry in terms of features, but also bringing in a lot of new and innovative bells and whistles.

In my ideal world. :) 

7 hours ago, Chris_K said:

Hi TheOtherRoland

If you look in the bottom left corner next the the next page/previous page buttons it will tell you what page you are currently on

Cheers

Thanks, Chris, that helps. So will updating my prescription glasses. :D

What about the text box issue though? What if I want to make a "master" template for a page style where each contains a text box in exactly the same place? I did this in Quark for books. How does APub approach this kind of task?

2 hours ago, TheOtherRoland said:

How does APub approach this kind of task?

Well, you create that text box on the first page. Then Shirt-click on a triangle (out text) situated at the bottom right of the text frame you created and voila Publisher has created all other text frames for you automatically.

Bear in mind that this process will change in the future. You should be able to create your master pages with text boxes, like in QuarkXpress and inDesign.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.