You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to Uninstall & Delete All Prefs?

With the serious problems I'm having in not being able to copy/paste text from ID, I have tried to delete all prefs and reload the beta app 128. But apparently looking for affinitypublisher files in the ~/Library doesn't remove everything. I've done that twice, but when I then open the beta, all my previously opened files reopen and most all of my previously set prefs are there (background color, interface font size, etc.). What do I need to do to completely uninstall the app and prefs? I really want to get file transfers from ID back again like I had in the first beta so that we can continue to test the app.

Thanks.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

No, looked at that but it only resets certain limited initial settings and not all prefs.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

You should be able to reset any of the desktop versions of the Affinity apps to its installation defaults by holding down the Ctrl key as you launch the app, keeping it held down until the ‘Clear User Data’ dialog appears, and then pressing ‘Select All’ followed by ‘Clear’.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

45 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

You should be able to reset any of the desktop versions of the Affinity apps to its installation defaults by holding down the Ctrl key as you launch the app, keeping it held down until the ‘Clear User Data’ dialog appears, and then pressing ‘Select All’ followed by ‘Clear’.

In Sierra??? Control/Ctrl is a contextual menu and can't be used with Open.

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

I also looked at this posting on Resetting Prefs, but none of this resets all the prefs. 

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

I also just deleted all affinitypublisher prefs found in the Library folder, deleted the app, reinstalled the first beta. It still has the prefs I set for the working area background color, interface size, etc., which indicates it is not starting APub from scratch.

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

3 hours ago, nwhit said:

I am running Sierra and what I do is double click the Affinity Publisher icon and immediately hold down the control key until the ‘Clear User Data’ dialog appears.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

15 hours ago, nwhit said:

It may not be obvious, but there are several ways that it can. One is to navigate to the app in the Applications folder, right click & hold on its icon to get the context menu pop-up, press the Control key, & release the button over the "Open" item in that contextual menu. Another is to use the Launchpad app.

My favorite is to keep the Affinity app icons in the Dock for quick access (& drag & drop opening of any supported file type). With the app icon there, you can click & hold on it until the contextual menu pops-up, press the Control key, & like with the Application folder method, release the button on the "Open" item in that menu.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

15 hours ago, nwhit said:

I also just deleted all affinitypublisher prefs found in the Library folder, deleted the app, reinstalled the first beta. It still has the prefs I set for the working area background color, interface size, etc., which indicates it is not starting APub from scratch.

Which Library folder did you delete the prefs folders from? Since they are per user preferences, the ones in your home folder's Library/Applications Support folder are the ones you would have to delete.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

28 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Which Library folder did you delete the prefs folders from? Since they are per user preferences, the ones in your home folder's Library/Applications Support folder are the ones you would have to delete.

Nowadays most all prefs are in the user Library (~/Library). Anything with Pub or Publisher was deleted. I also did a search in the main/System level Library but didn't find anything there.

After doing the Ctrl Open routine and selecting everything, that didn't clear all prefs - just the things it listed. There were still other prefs that had been set at the original install, so that method doesn't "uninstall" the app. Apparently Serif is storing APub prefs somewhere else in addition to the Library items with affinitypublisher in the name. 

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

I am going to proudly show my ignorance here by asking a really dumb question. Could your problems be caused by the new install picking up the 'bogus' settings you don't want from a previous Affinity Publisher document?

My reasoning is that you delete all the prefs and then reinstall the application, everything should be at zero so to speak. Once you start Publisher up it may read the Mac OS Recent Items list and get the 'bogus' stuff from those files. Or the crap you don't want is stored in a(all) file(s) is another way of putting forth my theory.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Unless a moderator has other info, I don't think documents store user interface prefs such as the Background Grey Level, Font UI Size, UI Style, etc. No matter what I delete, no matter which version of the beta I reinstall after trashing the app, all those prefs are still there, which indicates I have not fully "uninstalled" the app. 

And trying to resolve my issue with copy/paste text blocks from InDesign really needs to see if deleting the app (completely) and reinstalling will solve that serious problem. I wish someone from Affinity could comment on this. 

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

2 hours ago, nwhit said:

Unless a moderator has other info, I don't think documents store user interface prefs such as the Background Grey Level, Font UI Size, UI Style, etc. No matter what I delete, no matter which version of the beta I reinstall after trashing the app, all those prefs are still there, which indicates I have not fully "uninstalled" the app. 

The only place I found per user APub preference is in the ~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Publisher Beta folder. But there must be other app prefs (maybe not per user ones?) stored somewhere else because if I delete that entire folder, as you say, quite a few preferences are not reset to factory defaults.

This is different from Affinity Photo & Affinity Designer, which store per user prefs at paths ~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinityphoto/Data & ~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner/Data, respectively, & deleting those folders does restore everything to factory defaults.

Affinity Photo 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.