You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What am I editing Master or Page?

I am still very confused about the Blue Grey or None around Page Icons. I added a Shape to a page that was blue but it appeared on the Master Page hence all pages. All I really need is to know which page I am working on nothing else.  Also sometimes when I select a page the Grid is missing in the main window then double click on another page and it comes back on the page I was previously on.

Created a new document nd this confusion still occurs

The Pages panel is divided in 2 areas. Master Pages on top and Pages below.

To make sure you work on the pages you want you need to double-click either the Master page or a page you want to work on. That's all.

A blue outline flashes followed by a grey outline. This grey outline indicates whether you are working on pages themselves or on a Master page.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Nonetheless, Seneca, it is still possible to select both a master page and a layout page. Why that? There is basically no option you could apply to a master page and a layout page at the same time. Why should it be possible then to select both such pages? This is confusing.

Maybe I am missing something essential … O.o

Selection.png.c07de1ed2f3eef3052f6ab1721c78f13.png

That is exactly my problem with this system, in this situation the grey is not visible. And why would I want a Master and Page selected. I can also hve pge 20 grey and on screen but thumbnail not visible because I also have page 1 and Master blue. With this system I dont know if I am coming, going or have been.

Could somthing be added that really hits you in the face to say I am working on a master page, ie bold the master page section title or page section title, or change the background of that section a little, ie move the hue or luminance by a few percent

Mac has the numbers as well, but it seems silly to me that you have big thumbnails blue borders grey borders and tou have to look at little numbers at the bottom of the screen to see what you are really doing.

This is heading to be a really big program and a good alternative to inDesign, However little things like this are the sort of design points that sell or sink a product. I want this to sell 

8 hours ago, A_B_C said:

it is still possible to select both a master page and a layout page.

Hi A_B_C,

I agree with you. You shouldn't be able to select both at the same time. This should change.

One idea to quickly show what pages belong to what Master pages would be as follows.

If you select a master page all pages belonging to that master page could get a blue outline.

And if you select a page then all the Master pages that this page has inherited from should also show a blue outline. 

That might be one way of visually representing this relationship between pages and master pages and vice versa.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

1 hour ago, Seneca said:

Hi A_B_C,

I agree with you. You shouldn't be able to select both at the same time. This should change.

One idea to quickly show what pages belong to what Master pages would be as follows.

If you select a master page all pages belonging to that master page could get a blue outline.

And if you select a page then all the Master pages that this page has inherited from should also show a blue outline. 

That might be one way of visually representing this relationship between pages and master pages and vice versa.

Brilliant idea, I would prefer having the 'Selected' page, i.e. the one I am going to be working on, have a bolder or brighter highlight. As it stands right now the coloured highlight showing that I have clicked on the page remains on occasionally and this is causing much confusion. But yeah, I could get behind your idea A_B_C.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 9/18/2018 at 2:29 AM, Wosven said:

On Windows, at the bottom left of the app there're some infos displayed and a part about which page/master you're on and arrows to navigate through them.

It is there on the Mac version as part of the status bar as well, & includes a button to toggle between master & layout pages (same as the default CMD+M shortcut).

I don't see anything inherently problematic with being able to select both master & layout pages (because that can save a step when using the duplicate or trash buttons). The real problem is the selection outline obscures the grey 'current page' outline so apart from the status bar it can be overly hard to tell which is the current page. Worse, on Macs the selection outline can be any color (including the same shade of grey as the current page outline !!) because it is a system-wide setting in System Preferences (General > Highlight Color).

So what I would like to see is a larger 'current page' outline that is always visible around the outside of the page icon even when it is among the selected, & please please please make it something that will provide higher contrast with the panel background than a medium grey, like nearly 100% white for the dark UI & nearly 100% black for the light UI.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 hours ago, R C-R said:

It is there on the Mac version as part of the status bar as well, & includes a button to toggle between master & layout pages (same as the default CMD+M shortcut).

I have a redrawing bug with that button and keyboard shortcut.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 2 months later...

Please sort out the selecting and activating a page (I call a Grey border activating and selecting Blue border). I have just been trying to figure out how I had pasted content on the wrong page on various occasions. 

Assume 10 pages with content you want to copy from Page 1 to 9

1. Activate (Dbl click) on page 2
  2. Select Page 1 (Single click) on page 1 Cmd C
  3. Select page 9
  4. Cmd V and it pastes on Page 1onto Page 2

1. Activate (Dbl click) on page 1
  2. Select Page 1 (Single click) on page 1 Cmd C
  3. Activate page 10 by mistake
  4. so Select page 9
  5. Cmd V and it pastes on Page 1onto Page 10

These are just two of the numerous combinations I have found that can result on a  paste error.

Yes, I know about the status bar left and I have used it, but I usually know which page I want to go to and they are often close together. I have the page panel set to small icons so I can quickly change page ie jump from page 1 to 8 but having to double-click to me "comparing with many other programs I use" is not logical.  Clicking on the scroll icons is also much slower than clicking on a specific larger page icon Also, that does not negate the issues I listed above. 

I could use the cmd up or down arrows (control up or down arrows also does the same on a Mac) but that blue selects the page not grey selects the page, so you still have to Dbl click on the page, and to activate this keyboard scrolling you have to click on a page first. I understand some people may prefer single click select and double-click to activate the page, that is why I suggested a preference. However, some of the other inconsistencies as mentioned in my previous post and the keyboard problems mentioned above, I personally believe need sorting out, especially for people like myself who use many other programs and are used to selecting layers, pages, artboards, objects etc for editing with a single click. See Affinity Photo and Designer as an example within the Affinity range

During that preview video you release before the beta become public, I saw you changing a placeholder in one page and the same happened to other pages (55sec at

). Can you explain me that and how I can use that? 
When I'm working on a huge document, sometimes I wish I could do that without going to master page. But I couldn't repeat what I saw in the vídeo.

@haakoo, did you notice what I wrote earlier in this topic about how the selection outline could be any color because it is set globally in System Preferences > General > Highlight Color? It could be a grey that is identical to the grey 'current page' outline, or close enough to it that it would be very difficult to tell the two outline types apart. :/

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Yes, I did. That changes the blue outline, it is the grey outline which is the important one as that is where all the action takes place. So to me, that is the important page to highlight and select not the blue selection outline (or whichever colour you select in system preferences) It is the indication and selection of the active page that is inconsistent with all other apps/ programs that I am pointing out

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.