You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity designer rounds outline values

I am facing an issue with Affinity Designer where outline values are being rounded instead of being kept as specified.

For example 0.47mm gets rounded to 0.5mm, 0.25mm to 0.33mm etc.

Is this intended behavior or am I simply missing something. I need the values to remain exactly as specified.

outline.png

What settings do you have in Preferences?

1556979459_ScreenShot2018-09-17at23_24_13.png.86be7aca157547bbf60f9eb173a2b1e6.png

Try setting millimetres to 2 to show the true dimensions

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

So, the actual value and the one that is displayed in the UI can differ purely based on the selected number of decimal places in user interface preferences?

Suppose I choose to use two decimal places for millimeters but then encounter a situation where through scaling one of the outlines becomes 0.125mm. The user interface will show 0.13mm even though the actual value is 0.125mm. That simply feels a bit wrong and misleading.

It might be worth setting the default values for millimeters and centimeters to at least three? Or add at least some kind of visual cue that warns users that the used and displayed values differ. Just to avoid people asking the same question like me.

10 hours ago, brezanac said:

So, the actual value and the one that is displayed in the UI can differ purely based on the selected number of decimal places in user interface preferences?

Internally, the Affinity apps always use very high precision math, around 6-8 decimal places (internally the math is binary so the decimal equivalent is approximate), which among other things makes it possible for them to support irrational numbers with a very high level of precision. The user preference just sets how many decimal places are displayed in numeric fields.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/17/2018 at 5:57 PM, brezanac said:

Suppose I choose to use two decimal places for millimeters but then encounter a situation where through scaling one of the outlines becomes 0.125mm. The user interface will show 0.13mm even though the actual value is 0.125mm. That simply feels a bit wrong and misleading.

It might be worth setting the default values for millimeters and centimeters to at least three? Or add at least some kind of visual cue that warns users that the used and displayed values differ. Just to avoid people asking the same question like me.

Agree agree agree. User has no wAy of reviewing point placement or edit point input if it always round back to 2 decimal places in the display. Also, grid numbers seem to revert to predetermined sizes regardless of user specification (could have to do with art board size?)..