bpedit

SVG Export Scale Issue

I'm creating simple Bezier line drawings in Designer and exporting them as SVG files. When I import them into Carbide Create, a CAM app for running a CNC machine, the scaling is too small, generally by a factor of about 5.6. I can't just scale up for two reasons. The lines get choppy and the scale factor is not always exactly the same. I've tried a number of parameter changes to no avail.

I have tried this process with iDraw and Inkscape, both export with proper scaling. When I import a Designer created SVG into either Inkscape or iDraw, I also must rescale the image although not necessarily with the same factor as Carbide Create. So, I suspect this is more an issue of how Designer is handling the SVGs.

Hi bpedit,

I will pass this on to development to see what they say, but in all honesty I tried exporting a 10mm circle from Inkscape, Illustrator and Designer and all three files were opening as different sizes in each app, as well as Fusion 360 and Carbide Create. The Designer one does seem significantly larger in a couple of the imports, which I wonder is down to the 300dpi the document was created at. This is what I found (unfortunately I don't have access to a copy of iDraw to test with).

ExportSizes.png.8a0212797fd49bae9ded3c56582784eb.png

10mmCircleInkscape.svg

10mmCircleIllustrator.svg

10mmCircleDesigner.svg

Hey Sean, thanks for running this;

Indeed, your 10mm opens about 9mm in Carbide Create (CC). This is much different than my experience. I have done several manipulations like greatly enlarging the document and object size but still see the huge size reduction. In fact, I've just made my own 10mm circle which measures 1.79 mm in CC. (There it is again, the 5.6X factor.) 

An apparently knowledgeable source on the Carbide 3D forum states that the DPI should have nothing to do with this. This makes sense considering SVGs are vectors. So I'm wondering what gets you closer to 1:1 I'm working in mm, sounds like you are too. But even if I can replicate your results, it's not good enough for my use where inlays must match pockets and engraving must fit precisly on the inlay. I.e., multiple toolpaths executed from multiple SVGs at multiple times needing to coincide.

My workflow right now is to use Designer to create the art then copy the image and paste it into Graphic (iDraw). Then I use Graphic to create the SVG which sizes perfectly in CC. One other advantage of Graphic over Designer is that Graphic allows creation of SVGs from a layer or selected objects. Designer seems to export everything including hidden layers meaning I have to save a copy for each layer I want to export and delete the remaining layers from that copy. More files, more confusion, especially if I want to modify.

Here's my 10 mm  circle from AD:

10mmCircle_2.svg

PS: Strange that AD opens its own creation at a different size!

14 hours ago, bpedit said:

Hey Sean, thanks for running this;

Indeed, your 10mm opens about 9mm in Carbide Create (CC). This is much different than my experience. I have done several manipulations like greatly enlarging the document and object size but still see the huge size reduction. In fact, I've just made my own 10mm circle which measures 1.79 mm in CC. (There it is again, the 5.6X factor.) 

~~~~~

My workflow right now is to use Designer to create the art then copy the image and paste it into Graphic (iDraw). Then I use Graphic to create the SVG which sizes perfectly in CC. One other advantage of Graphic over Designer is that Graphic allows creation of SVGs from a layer or selected objects. Designer seems to export everything including hidden layers meaning I have to save a copy for each layer I want to export and delete the remaining layers from that copy. More files, more confusion, especially if I want to modify.

It sounds as though you didn't realise it was possible to limit the export to selected objects. If you select which objects you want to export and change 'Area: Whole Document' to 'Area: Selection without Background' option you can limit your export to the selected objects. This was what I was doing when exporting out the 10mm Circle, which in turn I found that exporting with Area: Whole Document and Area: Selection without Background gave quite drastically different sizes when importing into Carbide Create, which also seems wrong! I'll update development with that :)

7 hours ago, Sean P said:

It sounds as though you didn't realise it was possible to limit the export to selected objects. If you select which objects you want to export and change 'Area: Whole Document' to 'Area: Selection without Background' option you can limit your export to the selected objects.

Bingo! Thanks, I didn't read the fine print. But I still get the wrong scaling in Carbide Create. My 50.0 mm test frame imports at 8.954 mm, still the same ~5.6 scale-up needed as in my other imports.