You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector Blob/Eraser Combo (Tool request for Apple Pencil)

I'd like to request a tool from illustrator that would be an amazing addition to AF on ipad, especially with the apple pencil combo.

Blob tool is a tool that looks like a regular brush, but when you draw with it, it fills in a whole area and vectorizes around the solid area. It's basically the vector eraser tool but opposite. 

It would be amazing to have a blob, eraser combo tool that would switch between the functions with a one-finger modifier (with an option to set default erase or draw).

Adding to and erasing from vector shapes would make filling in vector areas and drawing full shapes really easy to do on ipad, especially with apple pencil!

Video attached so you can see what these tools do (in case anyone here has never used them) This is shown in illustrator as 2 tools, but in true Affinity style, these could totally be combined with a modifier since it doens't need to be that complicated. (illustrator is great at making 6 tools to do do the work of one).

Art director by day, illustrator by night: Check Out My Shutterstock Gallery

I used to use the blob brush all the time - love to see something similar in designer also for desktop

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Also combining it with a vector eraser would double the functionality while still keeping the interface clean and optimum. These 2 tools are so powerful, adding them would make Affinity even amazinger (that's a word right?).

I've only ever dabbled in both because i don't use Adobe for my illustration work at all, i've always been jealous of these tools, but switching from app to app just to use them has always felt clunky, so I've never given them their proper use, but dang i run across the use for both almost every day in my normal illustration work. 

I hope the handsome, intelligent developers consider these, haha.

Also a good way to keep the interface clean would be to include a brush like this in the pop out for shapes.

Call it the "shape brush" or something similar, that way people would realize that drawing with it would render a shape rather than a line, and the interface and main core tools wouldn't get cluttered.

The blob brush does render shapes, so this placement in the UI wouldn't be far fetched.

Just thinking out loud at this point, haha. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

i just bought AD a few weeks ago but now i got the time to get deeper into this program. i am so sad and also shocked that these options shown in the videos from @TonyO and @Guiem  are not available.:61_sob: 

With these options (cutting, extend, erease vectors and color the space between closed vectors areas) u can create easy and fast really nice graphics. 

i hope you developers will add them soon :/:58_disappointed_relieved: 

(im using desktop version)

• 4 weeks later...

I was just playing with Adobe Illustrator Sketch on iPad, the whole app is basically one giant blob brush. Every shape drawn gets exported as an outlined shape and not a line with an outline. It works so well with a pointing device and the output file is so easy to work with after the fact. It makes coloring in areas in vector feel so natural versus using a pencil to trace out a shape to fill later. After actually trying it out, this feature would be a game changer for Affinity on the iPad.

I've been clamoring for this for over a year now! The more we can have a vector app that can work in an artistic mode and not just technical, the more we can accomplish. I use the blob tool constantly in illustrator... modifying things, closing in gaps, giving designs a human imperfect element at times... etc. 
I know Affinity has focused on a non-destructive creation process... and adding the eraser/blob shape tool function tools would alter that... but the artists that use Affinity designer also have multiple methods for how they create art... its not all with the pen tool or brush tool

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

+1 here - Yes, a proper vector Eraser and vector cutting tools are severely needed.

also

- trace bitmap to vector, obviously

- an optimize slider to reduce the number of points in a vector shape

- a lasso selection tool to select nodes in a vector shape... a sole box/rectangle selection tool is SO 1985 !!!!!

• 5 months later...