You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Placeholder in Masters

It would be nice to have the possibility to define "dynamic" objects in Master pages so that it will be possible to fill them in the single pages. I mean, let say you place an empty text box in the Master, then it would be nice to be able to fille the box with different content in different pages.

Or maybe it's already possible and I missed it  ?

I typeset books for a living and really need this functionality. My master pages need to have text frames with the ability to justify them vertically as this speeds up my workflow considerably.

I'm excited for the potential of Publisher, the speed alone is impressive. Keep up the good work.

3 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Stefanoc, smac1314,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
The dev teams are already aware of these issues/lack of functionality regarding masters. There should be more improvements coming in future updates/versions to address this.

Good to know, thanks!

It can be done now. Create the text box on the master page and tag a page with it. On that page expand the master layer on the layers panel and then select the text frame. Symbols panel/Detach seems to do the job. Selecting the Master layer itself is not advisable - it crashes after pressing Detach. I think this functionality will be made easier in future updates.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

@MickRose there is also a more powerful way… rather than detaching the symbol, de-sync the symbol. This allows some attributes to be editable, while leaving all others in sync with the master page.

See… 

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

• 7 months later...