You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I frequently create documents set in the traditional German Fraktur alphabet, which requires certain ligatures that are not used in texts set with ordinary Roman letters. The most important one of these is the use of the so-called long s (Unicode U+0073), which may not be used interchangeably with the normal so-called round s but is used according to certain rules. The best Fraktur fonts out there are those that have been digitized by Gerhard Helzel (see http://www.fraktur.biz/). His OpenType fonts have been programmed to employ all required ligatures including the long vs. round s. These fonts work perfectly with Word for Windows 2010 and later and with InDesign as well as with XeLaTeX and certain other freeware programs. Most of them (not all) also work with QuarkXPress 2015. With the beta version of Affinity Publisher, the automatic setting of long vs. round s doesn't work, although conventional ligatures do seem to work.

On my wish list would be that the above-mentioned OpenType ligature automatic would work also with Affinity Publisher.

49 minutes ago, Fahneflycht said:

I frequently create documents set in the traditional German Fraktur alphabet, which requires certain ligatures that are not used in texts set with ordinary Roman letters. The most important one of these is the use of the so-called long s (Unicode U+0073), which may not be used interchangeably with the normal so-called round s but is used according to certain rules. The best Fraktur fonts out there are those that have been digitized by Gerhard Helzel (see http://www.fraktur.biz/). His OpenType fonts have been programmed to employ all required ligatures including the long vs. round s. These fonts work perfectly with Word for Windows 2010 and later and with InDesign as well as with XeLaTeX and certain other freeware programs. Most of them (not all) also work with QuarkXPress 2015. With the beta version of Affinity Publisher, the automatic setting of long vs. round s doesn't work, although conventional ligatures do seem to work.

On my wish list would be that the above-mentioned OpenType ligature automatic would work also with Affinity Publisher.

Yes, it appears that Gerhard's contextual alternates is broken in Apub (and AD).

Long s rules work fine in a font family I have created. @Dave Harris will need to let you know the why of Gerhard's font breaking the processing of the 900 or so rules contained in the font.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to nag about an esoteric issue that is probably of no concern to the vast majority of DTP users -- to me, however, it is highly important that the automatic typesetting of long s in Gerhard Helzel's open type fonts function properly - which is still not the case with build 1.7.0.133 (win). If the automatic long s-function can't be implemented in Apub for some reason, I would have to continue to use Word, where this function works flawlessly, even as Word is rather clumsy to use in so many other aspects of DTP.

But if this particular function works so well with Word, why can't it be done in Apub? Would seem to me that a skillful programmer could solve this quickly. However, as I am no programmer myself, I may be making an inference that is way beyond the scope of my knowledge, so please pardon me if I'm mistaken in this regard.:68_sleeping: