You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When are language versions coming?

• Staff
On 9/17/2018 at 2:00 PM, Michail said:

...when APub Beta will be released in language versions?

Other languages will appear later in the free beta process but we are not saying when, sorry. Currently we are trying to focus on the generic problems and will then address problems that can be caused by the localization process. As Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo are built from the same codebase as Affinity Publisher, I would expect Affinity Publisher to be multi-lingual when the 1.7 customer beta cycles of the Desktop 1.7 ADe and 1.7 APh are ready to look at .

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
1 minute ago, Fixx said:

Hyphenation in local languages would be enough for me.

They are not the same thing at all, so not the subject of this thread and my reply does not refer to text spelling or hyphenation. Supporting these means distributing files from a 3rd party. We need to decide what to do about those independently from the UI localization

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

39 minutes ago, Fixx said:

True, they are not the same, but I would think most users are accustomed using english user interface. Hyphenation is instead a must.

1. This is about the language of the UI!
2. You should be careful with such claims. I am not used to working with English user interfaces. And with many other users this is certainly similar. We are talking about a software for designers and not for programmers.

• 4 months later...
On 9/20/2018 at 11:55 AM, Patrick Connor said:

... As Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo are built from the same codebase as Affinity Publisher, I would expect Affinity Publisher to be multi-lingual when the 1.7 customer beta cycles of the Desktop 1.7 ADe and 1.7 APh are ready to look at .

It looks like Serif changed that strategy. Can you tell me what the current strategy is? When can we expect the most important language versions?

Which languages are most important depends upon who is considering that question!

Could you have a list of text units (e.g File, Save As …, Export ... ) each having a code number and have a localizable version of the software where one just runs the program with the localization file of one's choice?

That would mean that a version of Affinity Publisher localized to any one of many languages could be straightforwardly produced using translation of the localization file.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

• Staff
3 hours ago, Michail said:

Can you tell me what the current strategy is? When can we expect the most important language versions?

I will find out. We recently changed the translation procedure so now all our 1.7 apps are in sync (as I thought they would be when I wrote the above in September). I think we should be able to do all other languages for Publisher soon. We will need to check them internally first.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd