You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, im new to this forums, did a search but could not find anything similar, so forgive me if this is a common error.

Im having problems after developing raw images, and then exporting to jpeg, the image is getting much darker, how can i export so the result is

the same as what i see when i am editing?

Here`s an example.   

2018-09-16 (2)3.jpg

• Staff

Hi Norwegian airlord,

Welcome to the forums :)

Could you please provide your .afphoto file, and a screenshot of the export settings you're using? We can look into this for you!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Hi,

I just signed up to the forums to post the same issue.

I have already experienced the same a few months ago, but at that time I was in a hurry and went back to PS do resize and save pictures. Now I wanted to do the same again, should just take 3 minutes, but it already consumed 1,5 hours of googling and trying out every color profile, yet there's no change - if I open a JPEG and export it, it gets darker a lot. See "differentexport.jpg", on the left you see the file opened in AP, on the right the exported file in Win7 Photo viewer.

I own both APhoto and AD and surely will get APublisher as Serif seems to produce great, modern software, but this leaves me angry - opening a JPEG, maybe resizing it and save it again should not be complicated at all – if you ask me, even all the answers regarding "check your color profile", "AP uses another color profile" is complete nogo.

I don't want to deal with color management issues if I open a holiday picture, tune up some gamma and save it to desktop. That should be an option, not a basic requirement.

Hope I don't sound unkind but it's so time consuming ...

differentexport.jpg

screen01.PNG

screen02.PNG

• Staff

Hi notrace,

Welcome to the forums!

Could you please also provide a copy of either a RAW image you're exporting, or a copy of the .afphoto file please? I appreciate the detail and screenshots already provided :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

• Staff
3 minutes ago, notrace said:

How can I p.m. an attachement if it's not uploaded yet? I don't want to publish my holiday pictures to the whole world.

Unfortunately that's not possible currently, but I've downloaded your file and removed it from your reply so it's no longer publicly available. Please bare with me and I'll investigate your file :) 

• Staff

I've opened your file and done some testing using the same settings you're using. I can see you've chosen to export using the 'Medium Quality' preset. This will reduce the size on disk of your image, but may affect the quality or darkness of the overall image.

I exported using the 'Best Quality' JPEG preset and then opened this file in Affinity. The image looks comparably the same, and no difference in overall brightness is apparent. To back this up, I checked the histogram of both your original file and the JPEG export. Both provided almost exactly the same histogram, with only a change in 'Mean' of 0.01, seen in the below GIF.

54dd8c39c06c65e1f4dbb737f455bee5.gif

I tried to replicate what you did and indeed, no matter which quality setting or whatever, it shows the same behaviour:

• If I open the original file in Windows Photo-Viewer, it has its original colours
  • If I open the original file in AP, it has its original colours
  • If I export and open it in and Windows Photo-Viewer, it has darkened colours
  • If I re-open the exported file in AP, it has its original colours

What exactly is changed in the exported file (besides basically re-arranged pixels) that the Windows Photo-Viewer (and Firefox, and MS Paint ... ) can't handle? Must be color profiles, right?

But my settings are to "not transform opened files" and to export "using document profile"... :35_thinking:

• Staff

Which version of Windows are you using please? When opening the image in Windows Photo Viewer on Windows 10 and comparing this side by side with Affinity, I can see no colour difference. See below:

image.png

With all of the related settings the same between our two systems, this is the only difference I can currently think of. 

• Staff

Thanks for that. Do you have a colour profile set through Windows for your monitor? Affinity uses its own colour profile, so if this is set differently to your OS/monitors then images may appear slightly differently outside of Affinity.

Hi norwegian,

do not become afraid : RAW-developa-persona... is not the favorite dizipline of AP. But even when, there is no DM, an Organize-Tool.... I would recommenend FREE Soft like "darktable"... it does ALL aspects of "import/develope/organize..." much much better...

AP in the opposite has its power to EDIT a developed jpg, png, screenshot... and in this case, its really great!

Keep in mind: each wish to do a "neighbor-job" will steal ressources from the "core-team"... AP is bad in developing, but who cares? There is Darktable and some other which does a great job for just this SPECIAL thing. 

For me SERIF could burry the idea of "develope-persona". Eiher the bring out a special app, (including a DM, whishwise the DM seperatly...) but really focused of that... or they do not waste ressources in a field, a freeware is 10times-better!

AP is a great "EDITOR", not a great "developer"...your manufacture-camera-soft... Take and tweak them there. And than start a kpg/png and do some things and you will ask "how did i waste so many to the "developement"" .... AP can really magican in its core- features not in its "furher-stuff", there are better freewares...

wehre other firms has 100 people to this!!!!

Which will win? And - and thats my point" this 20 people will burned for NOTHING!

DOES AP need a Developa-Persona? Nope, never... There is much more better Freeware! Does AP the power of this "now free 20 persons?" Of course:Very, very, very.....good is always just small step before it could be better!!!!!!!! As soon, a feature is implemented, tested, used... people want more! And thats fantastic! The whole human-progression based of this simple principle! We are very thankfull (for a time), but after some time, we want more... and than we ask, how to organize/realize this more.... with just the resources we have.... !

THIS simple principe is the motor of our collective-development: from fire, to wheel, to math, to books, to simple machines, to star-flyes, to 000100100-"reality".... black, white, long, short...noses... who is interested in such things? The only question is: do you understand/live  this paradigma, are you ready to "help with whatever you can" without a special "honor/expectation" cause its just "normal" to act like this???????

If yes, you are very really welcome! If not, go back in your land and do what you think "its correct"! 

OSX 12.5  / iMac Retina 27" / Radeon Pro 580X / Metall: on! --- WWG1WGA WW!

22 hours ago, notrace said:

I don't want to deal with color management issues if I open a holiday picture, tune up some gamma and save it to desktop. That should be an option, not a basic requirement.

Unfortunately, dealing with color management issues is unavoidable, in large part because some apps ignore color profiles completely, some substitute a 'default' profile (which may or may not be user selectable), some hand off all color management to the OS & do nothing at the application level, & so on.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

@Norwegian airlord Thanks for that.

RAW files from the Mavic Pro 2 aren't officially supported, so your mileage may vary, however the DNG files opens correctly and appears to display the correct data.

I adjusted the file slightly in the develop persona, then exported using the same export settings provided and opened the JPEG file in both Windows Photo Viewer, and Affinity.

According to the histogram, the DNG files Mean was 137.38, and the JPEG after export was 136.96, a negligible difference expected when rasterising to JPEG. I've also included a screenshot below of the DNG in Affinity and the JPEG in Windows Photo Viewer, which to me look extremely similar.

image.png

Do you have any external colour profiles set for your monitor that may affect the overall image outside of Affinity?