You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm new to Affinity  but I've used PSE for many years prior. 

1.  Recently I've noticed that the names of my files (pictures) say, "READ ONLY." I don't know how or why this happened. This prevents me from using them for the purpose I had in mind. How do I rectify this?

2. When I am finished working on a file do the layers have to be flattened or merged?

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

Enjoy

Read Only generally means just that, the file can be read/opened but not edited, there could be a lot of reasons for this but it would help if you could tell us what your Operating System is, which Affinity app you are using and where you are accessing the files from? (USB, local folder i.e Documents, from a camera, from the cloud i.e. Dropbox, Mega etc) 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 hours ago, firstdefence said:

but not edited,

This is not exactly accurate - you can edited data from this file, but you can not write it back. However, you can write to another file.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Thanks for your reply.

I am using Sierra 10.12.6 on my iMac with Affinity Photo. The files I am using are on iPhoto and were taken with my camera. 

I've been using Affinity Photo occasionally for 6 months but  have not had this problem before. (I have to admit I am still learning the software). When I try to export the files I get a window that says the file is missing although I have the picture on the computer. I'm not sure what I am doing differently at this time to cause this.

Thanks for your reply,

enjoy

• Staff

HI @enjaye1,

Welcome to the forums. 

14 hours ago, enjaye1 said:

1.  Recently I've noticed that the names of my files (pictures) say, "READ ONLY." I don't know how or why this happened. This prevents me from using them for the purpose I had in mind. How do I rectify this?

2. When I am finished working on a file do the layers have to be flattened or merged?

1. Is that the end product exported from Affinity or the files already present on your disk?

2. That really depends on what you want to do with your file in the future and how you plan to use it. 

6 hours ago, enjaye1 said:

When I try to export the files I get a window that says the file is missing although I have the picture on the computer. I'm not sure what I am doing differently at this time to cause this.

Can you attach a screenshot of the error message? 

Thanks,

Gabe.