You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Autocrop on rotation

A lot of photo editing software tools automatically crop a photo when the user does a small rotation for instance to straighten the horizon. In Infinity Photo this seems not to be the case (unless I overlook an option). This means 4 additional mouse-move operations, that are not really needed in my view. Can this auto-cropping be implemented, even if only as an option (for those that want the control)? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/16/2018 at 1:14 PM, ApvdG said:

A lot of photo editing software tools automatically crop a photo when the user does a small rotation for instance to straighten the horizon. In Infinity Photo this seems not to be the case (unless I overlook an option). This means 4 additional mouse-move operations, that are not really needed in my view. Can this auto-cropping be implemented, even if only as an option (for those that want the control)? 

yes, very much needed here too!

• 1 month later...

Yes, Photoshop lets you choose between enlarge the image, auto crop it or keep the image size.
In addition you can choose to impaint the edges automaticly.

In most cases I want to crop and now I have to fine tune my crop frame as I don't want to loose more content as I have to after rotation. This is cumbersome and slows down my workflow.

I think we should have an option to choose what action should happen.

image.png.9a96b86c2f6d08105d2b0eb20d8db409.png

Edited by Steps
screenshot, further explaination

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

The way it is now Photo reminds you all the time that the image you are working on is is just a layer and the canvas is seperate from it.

This is also true for Photoshop Elements, but to make it easier to use they have a nifty trick:
If your only layer is the background layer the straighten tool has a checkbox "rotate all layers" automaticly selected.
If this checkbox is selected rotation also crops the canvas.

If you deselect it you get the same behaviour as Photo has: The layer is rotated and the canvas stays the same. So you see edges.

I think this is a pretty neat solution because you don't take any ability away (if you want Photos behaviour), but for the case that you really just want to rotate one single photo (-> only one background layer) it's easily doable.

I would like to see this in Photo, too, as this would greatly improve usability for cropping and rotating.

On a side note: As many of you it's also true for me that I desperately want to get rid of Photoshop in favour of Affinity Photo, but I always return to it because of things like this. This is just another example where you have to put in considerable more effort into achieving something really simple doing it with Photo as doing it in Photoshop. :(

---

On a second side note I like to add that I somehow feel bad having so much critism for the Afffinity products. But I want to be clear on that I really love the company politics, the fair pricing and the whole concept of the Affinity range.

Edited by Steps

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

• 2 years later...