ApvdG

Improve usability of auto - levels etc.

I noticed that a number of automatic adjustments such as auto levels and auto contrast are available as buttons in the menu, but there is not an "auto" button on the equivalent adjustment window. 

But moreover, the parameters of any auto adjustment, are not exposed, and not adjustable later on.

I would like to propose to implement either of both of the following:

1. add a button on the adjustment window (for all adjustments where it makes sense) to adjust the relevant parameters automatically (resulting in the values and slider positions to be adjusted accordingly).
  2. When any of the existing auto buttons is clicked, an adjustment layer is added (like when starting the equivalent adjustment), and the settings found by the software are shown.

This will offer (in hopefully most cases) a good starting point to the allow the user to fine tune these settings.

+1

I actually created a duplicate for it this morning elsewhere. Sorry.

But I did not think of your second suggestion which is really great. I always want to work non-destructive and this helps.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1809). Intel Core i5-4670K @ 3.40GHz, 16 GB memory, NVidia GTX 780
Affinity Publisher Beta 1.7.0.221

On 16 September 2018 at 1:14 PM, ApvdG said:

But moreover, the parameters of any auto adjustment, are not exposed, and not adjustable later on.

I like your suggestions for both options 1 & 2 a lot but rather than wait to see if Serif can/will implement them, this workaround may be useful to some people

(For testing the following, use an image where the Auto Contrast Button makes a good difference to the image you are using)

Open image
Duplicate the layer
On the original background layer select the Auto Contrast Button
On the duplicated layer set blend mode to Difference
Add a Brightness/Contrast adjustment to this layer only
Ticking the Linear checkbox in this adjustment dialogue seems to make the next step much easier

Adjust Brightness & Contrast sliders to get as near a pure black image as possible

Note: If you have View > Studio > Histogram showing you can use this to see how pure black your image is as you adjust it, rather than looking at the image. (which can be a lot easier if you understand histograms)

Once adjusted properly (pure black as best you can) switch the duplicated layer back to Normal blend mode.

You should now have your duplicated layer with a non-destructive adjustment layer which mimics the Auto Contrast settings, which you can tweak further if required

EDIT: Toggling the duplicated layer on and off should show you how well you have matched the Auto Contrast settings

The above procedure should also work for Auto White Balance (easy), Auto Levels (medium hard), Auto Colours (Hard)

Due to the ongoing Brexit negotiations, punctuation, spelling and grammar will be used sparingly until further notice.

Thanks, very cleaver. I tried this with auto levels, but could not really figure out how to change the levels in the duplicated layer to arrive at a black picture. Possibly too many possible solutions if you also include changing levels for all colours... ?

Let's hope Serif will implement this improvement proposal.

I'm surprised that there are not more people that find the auto buttons useful but consider it a problem that they are destructive.

As this app is mainly meant for professionals and the principle every tutorial teaches you is to always work non-destructive I don't quite get the acceptance for this being destructive.

Does everyone develop their RAWs so perfectly they don't ever use that buttons? o.O

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1809). Intel Core i5-4670K @ 3.40GHz, 16 GB memory, NVidia GTX 780
Affinity Publisher Beta 1.7.0.221

I use curves adjustment layer and yes, it is a problem that there is no auto function. Same applies to levels adjustment layer.