You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Want to Love Designer but so many issues- help?

Hi all! I purchased AD/AP on the desktop and iPad trying to move away from Adobe products. I've been following a few different tutorials and have the book but I keep running into problems/glitches/human error? I'm running into the problems on my pc using a Dell Canvas (pen touch tablet monitor). I keep getting stray marks from my fingers even with a glove on, sometimes I go to use the brush with my pen and nothing happens- I switch to my mouse and no problem.

If possible I would like to have my desktop setup resemble my ipad one if possible with the undo/redo keys, text names for the brushes along with the brush stroke thumbnail, and similar gestures.  Is this possible and I've just missed it?

Also I recently purchased some excellent brushes from Frankentoon and I've  noticed that the ipad version vs my desktop version behave differently- is this common or do I need to change something else in settings?

If you've read this far- thanks! Haha just feeling a bit frustrated with the learning curve and all the potential I see (and don't know how to use well yet!)

Help appreciated :)

2 hours ago, Pnp said:

I keep getting stray marks from my fingers even with a glove on

This could be a settings tweak,  if there's a sensitivity setting try adjusting it down a bit.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

27 minutes ago, Pnp said:

Thanks @firstdefence :) I've played around in settings but AD (and often AP) are the only two that cause issues. If I continuously keep a finger on my monitor I don't get stray marks-any other time is 50/50 my pinky will leave a streak or not.o.O

That would drive me nuts

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

It is- its the main reason I try using AD/AP every few months after an update and then quit them. That and little things like eye dropping a color then having them switch, and new layers pasted in needing to be rasterized before cutting parts, and hot keys like i and b sometimes not working. I want to switch to AD/ AP but I keep running into issues:41_pensive: thankfully the ipad version seems to work out for me/work like I expect.

I think version 1.7 will answer a lot of people requests, but I'm sure we will find new bugs in that release, Affinity cannot account for every variation of system nor can it for-see usage bugs, personally I use a Deco 03 at the moment but have just bought an XP-Pen Artist 12 so I'll be doing a bit of a test in regard to that, it will be interesting to see what it performs like. 

I don't just use one app, I have several that suit my particular needs/workflow and just work better for me. Affinity is good software but it has some short-comings that I'm sure the devs are working on and that will likely be addressed in future iterations, so, until they get fixed or features added I just use apps that work as I want them too and use Affinity in-between. 

• Staff

Hi @Pnp,

Welcome to the forums. 

16 hours ago, Pnp said:

I keep getting stray marks from my fingers even with a glove on, sometimes I go to use the brush with my pen and nothing happens- I switch to my mouse and no problem.

We do not do anything specific for touch screens, nor do we have a palm rejection algorithm. It is all handled by the already installed drivers. If the palm rejection algorithm your drivers have does not work properly, there's not much we can do. :(

You can always try to enable "High precision tablet input" in Preferences > Tools and see if that makes any difference. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

@firstdefence have fun with the new device :) It's great to see new tools for artists coming out and of such high quality. @GabrielM thanks, I've been combing thru the settings and just found that. I need to restart and test it- fingers crossed! As far as the other things are they somewhere in the setting and I missed it- redo/undo buttons, text labels along with the brush names, and is there a way to set the color I just eyedropped as the new dominant color? When I use eye dropper it seems to make it the secondary color or the color next to the eye dropper icon and then I have to go over to that menu and switch to the color I wanted. It seems like eye dropping a color is a 2-3 step process when in other apps I'm more familiar with it's just 1. Am I missing something?

• Staff
16 hours ago, Pnp said:

I missed it- redo/undo buttons

That only exits in the iPad version. 

16 hours ago, Pnp said:

is there a way to set the color I just eyedropped as the new dominant color?

image.png

With this on, it will select it as the foreground colour for your brush.

Also, with the Colour Pick Tool selected, make sure you have the foreground colour selected: image.png  

Thanks @GabrielM that's a good setting to know. Is it a default? I don't remember setting that one but mine looks like that. I tried reproducing the problem I'm having. I did and realize that it is mainly when I use hot keys i and b that it doesn't behave the way I expect and hope I can change it in a setting somewhere. 

So I made a quick clip of what is happening. First I used i and tried with my pen to color pick and I get a blue box. That didn't work so I then used my mouse- it worked. Then when I switched back to the brush tool using 'b' the colors alternated. Is there a way to prevent that? 

• Staff

You do not have the same colour palette selected on both tools. When you use the Colour Pick tool, you have the "right" circle as your foreground colour. image.png

When you switch to the brush tool you have the "left" circle as the foreground colour. image.png . Choose either left or right for both tools and they will work properly :)

Now that you mention it I definitely notice they switched. But not following. When I press the arrow to manually switch one the other switches for the other tool. So if it is white for eye dropper and I switch it to black. Then when I go back to the brush tool it is now the opposite color.

---Edit -- 

Aww fudge I see there is a difference between touching the little tool switcher and the colors.:62_dizzy_face: Thanks @GabrielM if you hadn't pointed that out I don't think I would have found that out playing around unless I hit it by accident. I think that was my biggest pet peeve. This will definitely make AP/AD more usable for me!