You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

does not open a file

20 minutes ago, Miltrin said:

Please help!
I'm creating a 16 page file and everything was fine until I restart.
What should I do? 
I didn't want to reinstall because I already had paragraph styles created.

Please help.

Just sent you a note in the "Nasty bug" topic.  I'll try, if you can tell me how to attach your revised file to this forum message.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Try this.  At least it is a stab at it. I removed the floral illustrations on both your left and right master pages, leaving just the blank picture frames..   I didn't touch your document pages.   See below.   OOPS.  I should have named your document "fastcasual-2.afpub.  Hope it doesn't get mixed up with your first one!!

fastcasual.afpub

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

3 minutes ago, Miltrin said:

@jmwellborn It doesn't open yet. I'm going crazy.

I revised your file using Beta v. 57.  I don't have the 58 Beta in my computer.  I'll see if I can open my revision of your file in my V. 57.  Then I'll let you know.  So sorry.  You must be really struggling! 

1 minute ago, jmwellborn said:

I revised your file using Beta v. 57.  I don't have the 58 Beta in my computer.  I'll see if I can open my revision of your file in my V. 57.  Then I'll let you know.  So sorry.  You must be really struggling! 

Ok.  It opened again in Beta 57.  I have now removed the picture frames off your master pages, in addition to what I did previously.  Look for this file:  fast casual-3.afpub below.  We'll keep trying!!  Better than worrying around here about the remnants of Hurricane Florence!!  

fastcasual-3.afpub

@jmwellborn Hahahahahaha, you made me smile.
But unfortunately I cannot open it.

Oh, my.   Would you like me to try to eliminate the little bar on your master pages?  Or would you like me to try removing the master pages altogether?  It might be worth trying.

You could always create the master pages again, once you get the thing open.

1 minute ago, jmwellborn said:

Oh, my.   Would you like me to try to eliminate the little bar on your master pages?  Or would you like me to try removing the master pages altogether?  It might be worth trying.

Please delete the master pages.
Thank you very much.

Just now, Miltrin said:

Thank you very much.

Ok.  Give me a few seconds.  

Thank you very much.

Here it is, stripped down to not very much.  I may have wiped you out.  Anyway, here is hoping.  Fingers crossed!  (Probably eyes as well.) fast casual-4.afpub.  

fastcasual-4.afpub

@jmwellborn Just for info, the earlier two files you posted also crashed on my installed latest Publisher beta with an unhandled exception error, the last file you just posted did open.

This seems to be an error within Publisher itself and not a computer system related anomaly with the original poster's computer (which could be the case given that it did open properly on your computer). Maybe you could let the developers know what you had to do so far to "fix" the issue of the file not opening.

17 minutes ago, Arte said:

@jmwellborn Just for info, the earlier two files you posted also crashed on my installed latest Publisher beta with an unhandled exception error, the last file you just posted did open.

This seems to be an error within Publisher itself and not a computer system related anomaly with the original poster's computer (which could be the case given that it did open properly on your computer). Maybe you could let the developers know what you had to do so far to "fix" the issue of the file not opening.

Thank you so much for your information!!!  I did not upgrade to the Beta 58.  I read some comments about crashes before happily clicking on the download, and have saved v. 57.  That seems to be why I could open his files with all of the master page information right there where it belonged.   We haven't heard from Miltrin so far, and I do hope that he is working on his project again!!

In some ways, I am a computer-dolt.  But I have been reading these forums and creating my own HELP pages, by printing conversations about problems I may also encounter with their temporary work-around solutions.  Do you have a good suggestion for me about how to send these crash conversations to the developers?  Although I think they may already be aware of this problem.    

Just a gentle reminder that @AdamW very clearly stated that this beta is "not suitable for production use" or "for any other activity where you may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents." That also goes for the first & most likely the next several betas, because as was mentioned on the announcement page, it will still be "a few months" before the release of the first retail version.

The bottom line is these public betas are intended only for testing so we can report bugs like this one so they can fix them before the retail release, & to encourage comments (in the Discussions forum) about changes & additions we would like to see in that release.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@jmwellborn I want to thank you for what you've done for me.
Thank you for making it possible for me to return to work on this project.
I know I can't make master pages, at least in this beta version. Or finish my work before closing again.
Also thank you for making me laugh for a while with your comments.
Yesterday I didn't answer again because I had to leave home urgently, and until now I didn't go back to work.

@R C-R Thank you for your follow-up on this case.

21 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

Do you have a good suggestion for me about how to send these crash conversations to the developers?  Although I think they may already be aware of this problem.    

You could try sending an e-mail to support with links to the discussions on these forums, but based on some replies Serif is already aware of this issue as one of their people mentioned there is going to be a fix for this issue with images on master pages crashing the beta on a (relatively) short term by making an updated beta version available.

I am running 1.70.58 and I can not open any of the master files I created as of this morning when it crashed.  My original install is this version.  I have sent the reports to Apple, but would like to know what the timeline looks like if anyone knows.

Thanks,

Elizabeth

4 hours ago, 2on2out said:

....but would like to know what the timeline looks like if anyone knows. 

Thanks,

Elizabeth

The last we heard Serif were hoping to release a new beta on "Friday or Monday".  Obviously we have missed Friday so let's hope it is today.

I'm sure they see this as a serious enough bug to want to get a fix out as soon as possible but the last thing we would want them to do is rush it and make the situation even worse.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 minutes ago, carl123 said:

The last we heard Serif were hoping to release a new beta on "Friday or Monday".  Obviously we have missed Friday so let's hope it is today.

I'm sure they see this as a serious enough bug to want to get a fix out as soon as possible but the last thing we would want them to do is rush it and make the situation even worse.

Agreed.  I'd much rather have it correct than rebuilding my file yet again.

On 9/16/2018 at 10:43 AM, Miltrin said:

@jmwellborn I want to thank you for what you've done for me.
Thank you for making it possible for me to return to work on this project.
I know I can't make master pages, at least in this beta version. Or finish my work before closing again.
Also thank you for making me laugh for a while with your comments.
Yesterday I didn't answer again because I had to leave home urgently, and until now I didn't go back to work.

@R C-R Thank you for your follow-up on this case.

NATO to the rescue!  Crashes vanquished.  I’m so glad I could help a wee bit.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.