You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Master Page Guide Text/Image How to

Ok,

Let says I'm making a book where on every page I place a picture on the right and a text on top, and on each pages I place the content in another text frame.

If I add on the master page those "frames" like a "template" text and image template frames, then, I can't edit those in my real pages.

How do you guy lives without a feature like that ? What I'm missing here ?

26 minutes ago, NNois said:

That's not how Publisher works, at least at the moment. 

You don't put text frames on master pages.

You create them on each page either individually or automatically by holding down the shift key and clicking on a  triangle next to the eye on the edge of text frame.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

20 hours ago, NNois said:

Ok,

Let says I'm making a book where on every page I place a picture on the right and a text on top, and on each pages I place the content in another text frame.

If I add on the master page those "frames" like a "template" text and image template frames, then, I can't edit those in my real pages.

I agree with this 100% 

On 9/15/2018 at 5:04 PM, Seneca said:

That's not how Publisher works, at least at the moment. 

You don't put text frames on master pages.

You create them on each page either individually or automatically by holding down the shift key and clicking on a  triangle next to the eye on the edge of text frame.

@NNois and @tariq you can use assets to achieve what you need. Drag a picture frame on a page, add a caption and title to it. Finetune it, then make it into a group and give it a name in the Layers panel. Then add the selected group to your assets. Now you can simply drag the asset on a new page and fill in the 'blanks'. Use asset categories to keep track of these reusables.

Of course more enhanced 'page templates' would be nice. But maybe that's what @Seneca refers to with 'at least at the moment'.

A tip for the staff: add page numbering to the master pages tutorial video. I was surprised the tutorial didn't mention this feature of the master pages. I also wonder why the section name can't be insert in the master page... (that can be solved by creating a master page for each section of course, but that is less flexible)

10 hours ago, Wim Daniels said:

...Now you can simply drag the asset on a new page and fill in the 'blanks' ...Of course more enhanced 'page templates' would be nice. But maybe that's what @Seneca refers to with 'at least at the moment'.

Duh that's not what I've expected, Isn't publisher a helper to build something, not by hand ???
I don't understand it right, so what's the purpose of publisher apart from putting page number automatically?

10 hours ago, Wim Daniels said:

...Then add the selected group to your assets. Now you can simply drag the asset on a new page and fill in the 'blanks'.

...Of course more enhanced 'page templates' would be nice.

Ok, but:
1. This is way overcomplicated
2. I can't modify the asset like an instance, so if I need some adjustement , I'm just fucked !

Please explain me better what Publisher is for because without for now I think publisher is for brochures or poster work.
Any work with 3+ pages will fail