You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When I try to save a file I get a window with the message:

"Failed to Save Document"
"Save failed because the file could not be created. Does the file already exist and is it marked as read only."

This happens both when I create a new file and when I try saving an altered existing file.

Anyone advise please?

post-7302-0-60180300-1427208805_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi jhmdigital,

Can you confirm if this is in the Mac App Store version (1.1.2) or in the current Affinity Designer Beta version? The beta is available from the beta sub forum here.

If you are using the beta version and this still appears to be a problem, can you see if you are able to save to your 'Pictures' folder?

What happens if you run Disk Utility and choose to 'Repair permissions'?

I'm sure we can get to the bottom of this! :)

Thanks,

Matt

Hello Matt,

Sorry for the delay in responding.
Yes, it is the Mac App Store version (1.1.2) I'm using.
As suggested I ran Disk Utility > Repair Permissions and that seems to have done the trick. I've tried creating a few test files to both 'Save' and also 'Export' and all seems fine.

Many thanks for your prompt and helpful reply. 

jhm digital

• 1 month later...

I have the App Store version 1.2 and am unable to save files (Failed to save document: Save failed because you do not have permissions to create a file in that location.) I have repaired permissions, reset passwords, checked Finder-level info settings for all the directories and the desktop where I've tried to save multiple files, and each time I get the same error message, even after a clean install of new system software and re-downloading Affinity Designer from the App Store.

The beta I was using last month had no problem saving files, but the previous App Store version had this problem as I wrote to your tech support on February 20.

I hope you are able to fix this bug. I spoke to Apple Tech support yesterday and they told me it was a known problem on your end.

Best,
Clint

post-7189-0-64138100-1430233874_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi,

@Clint

It is a problem we know about, but is most certainly not our fault.  It's related to Apple's sandboxing, which we have to use in order to be able to sell our app through the App Store. There is nothing we do that is special or different - we use standard libraries for file handling, saving and loading. All the permissions are handled and enforced lower down by OSX.  It is very frustrating that there is absolutely nothing we can do differently in our code that can mitigate this issue.  Instead we have to rely on the user to fix the problem on their machine.

Please, have a look at this thread, which might describe one other possible cause on your machine:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/6956-cannot-open-or-save-with-both-affinity-designer-and-photo-beta/?hl=3000&p=30001

Please let me know if this helps,

Thank you.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

Just one other question - are you able to still save a new file in your User / Pictures folder?

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Hello, 

As I wrote above you fixed the problem for me.

However, having read about Sandbox problems, in your reply to Clint, I would like the following clarified.

When you issue the full app, which I intend buying, does it mean the sandbox problem will persist and I will have to follow the above procedures again?

• Staff

Hi jmhdigital,

There is already a 1.2 update available for Affinity Designer in the App Store that you should probably have been prompted to download by now? It was released on 2nd April. Hopefully everything is still working fine for you? :)

I think that all Ben was trying to say to Clint was just that some users have to run the Repair Disk Permissions in order to fix an OS issue that we can't fix automatically - it shouldn't need to be run again, but then again, it shouldn't have needed to be run in the first place and was only necessary because something in the OS went wrong at some point.

We've never had this problem ourselves and we've had multiple versions over the last 4 years of development, so we wouldn't expect people to need to do this, but when you have a lot of users I suppose you start to see an occasional need to run these things because just like anything else, the OS has occasional issues at times...

Thanks,

Matt