You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problem in paragraph justification

5 hours ago, jjrikly said:

In a text box if the paragraph is set on "justify all" the last line must be "left justify" for not have too many spaces between words.

Please see the sample below.

Thank you.

Snap1.jpg

It's your paragraph spacing setting:

capture-002215.png.1c1d026bfeff656b66b1e33b0697e57c.png

5 minutes ago, Oval said:

No, he wrote “set on "justify all "”.

“Designer don’t read”?! :-)

I understand that, Oval. But the setting used doesn't accomplish what he wants (what I understand what he wants) and the setting I show does (if I am understanding correctly).

Mike

2 minutes ago, Oval said:

No, what he says is that it is a bug because we are here in “Report bugs in Publisher beta on Windows”. He simply did not use the right function.

I understand that, too, Oval. You had already informed him it's not a bug. I simply showed him where the proper setting is (again, if I am understanding the problem in the first place).

Mike

7 minutes ago, MikeW said:

showed him where the proper setting is

This is not the proper setting, IiT, the proper setting was already told in the second post. Users could think they need to do it the complicate way.

HTH

1 minute ago, Oval said:

This is not the proper setting, the proper setting was already told in the second post. Users could think they need to do it the complicate way.

I'll leave you to your perception of what the correct setting is.

Your way MikeW works but it's over complicated. "Justify Left" from the top menu is one click and does the job.

justify.jpg

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

9 minutes ago, Oval said:

AlainP showed you that it is not the same.

They are named different depending on how one selects the option. I.e., via the context menu (Alain) or via the paragraph style (me). The paragraph style simply has more room and so the verbiage is different.

Look, Oval, just have two paragraphs and two styles. Select to make one paragraph via the context menu, do a paragraph style for the other. For the first option, if one believes styles are useful, one can choose the context menu option and then choose to update the style. Or one can just modify the paragraph style to begin with.

Both methods accomplish the same thing (visually). But the menu context option leaves that paragraph style as an override and so, if using styles, one needs to update the style. If one doesn't update the style, then if for any other reason opts to reset that paragraph to the as-defined style, the justified option is lost.

Mike

capture-002218.png

1 minute ago, Oval said:

It is not the same: “it's over complicated”. Text Syle editing is not the same!

Styles for consistently formatting text is hardly over complicated. 

If all you do is local formatting, good luck being both consistent and efficient. 

10 minutes ago, MikeW said:

If all you do is local formatting

Why should we do this because it was told from “Idiot in Training”?! The paragraph was set on "justify all ". Nothing else. No bug, just a mistake from Geneva.

6 minutes ago, Oval said:

Why should we do this because it was told from “Idiot in Training”?! The paragraph was set on "justify all ". Nothing else. No bug, just a mistake from Geneva.

You don't need to do anything I write, Oval.

Did I ever mention there was a bug? Nope. Did I mention that for consistency one needs to either update the style being used (when using the context toolbar option) or just do it in the style to begin with? Yep.

You have your method. And it only affects the paragraph the cursor is in. That's the very definition of local formatting. I have my method and it affects all paragraphs using that style.

What neither of us know is what use-case the OP needs or wants. But if there is more than one paragraph that needs to be thus formatted, I know which method I want to use. You are free to use any method you want. The OP is free to use any method he wants. The next person can use any method they want. I don't really care.

Feel free to selectively quote me again and pontificate how your method is better once again. I'll leave you alone in your perception of greatness in formatting text from here on out.

Mike (The "Dunce" who is an "Idiot in Training.")

There is no bug there. The solution I posted is good for short documents, a few pages, as you have to select the text and click on "Justify Left". But I would go with Mike's solution for longer documents, you just have to apply your "modified" Style everywhere it's needed. And this new style could also contain a few more mods.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

16 hours ago, MikeW said:

what use-case the OP needs or wants.

Really no use-case, just a wrong bug report that used Latin text with too long lines, too small line spacing, … There are no serious use cases for “"justify all"” together with the other typographic settings. OK, just one to show what you should not do.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.