Paint brush tool in need of an improvement

13 hours ago, Chris B said:

Ah, of course, I see it now. It's hard to tell from the video that you're pressing Home. I have seen crashes happen when:

• Pressing Home before an auto-save
  • Pressing Home whilst waiting for something to render (brush strokes, moving a shape etc.)
  • Crash when there's an active text caret and you press Home

I'll get the reports logged to see what's going on. 

Ok great.

I reimported my project file and it seemed to behave the in the same way. So hopefully it’ll start crashing for you guys to help diagnose of the problem.

i read through the fixes in the beta testing section and noticed a CLEAR HISTORY button was added to help with crashes.

When I imported my file I used this option and it fixed the file by stopping the crashing.

This seems to be the developers work around and they’re aware of the issue. 

I guess now they just need to work on this and the app should more stable?

can you please keep me up to date with their progress and what they find in my file and crash logs?

There was an old issue -in the desktop- , that having the history studio ON, displayed instead of hidden, would lead to some performance issue, but surely is unrelated, and probably fixed many updates ago....

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.  Wacom Intuos 4 XL.

On 9/27/2018 at 7:36 PM, Chris B said:

Yes there have been a few History crashes over the years but it shouldn't really be the solution :/ I'll let you know whenever I get any feedback. Thanks.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your help. I’ve decided AP just isn’t for me. With every update over the past year and a bit I’ve hoped that this issue would be solved and many other things would be improved, sadly they weren’t. Unfortunately it has cost me time and money to have hung around this long, so I’ve now moved onto greener pastures “Artstudio Pro”

Hopefully I can request a refund.

All the best

1 hour ago, Andych56 said:

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your help. I’ve decided AP just isn’t for me. With every update over the past year and a bit I’ve hoped that this issue would be solved and many other things would be improved, sadly they weren’t. Unfortunately it has cost me time and money to have hung around this long, so I’ve now moved onto greener pastures “Artstudio Pro”

Hopefully I can request a refund.

All the best

WTF?

You want a refund after one year of usage? AND, it has cost you time AND money...??

what’s wrong with people nowadays? You have paid 20 bucks for an app on the iPad and you’re demands was Photoshop desktop quality immediately...?

Get a life and don’t be such a whiner...

46 minutes ago, ErrkaPetti said:

WTF?

You want a refund after one year of usage? AND, it has cost you time AND money...??

what’s wrong with people nowadays? You have paid 20 bucks for an app on the iPad and you’re demands was Photoshop desktop quality immediately...?

Get a life and don’t be such a whiner...

Ok so let me get this right, your whining about me being a whiner? Lol

Yeah that’s right I’ve owned it for a year and tried to use it, with little success. I made the decision to buy an iPad based on how well Serif sold me on the idea of AP.

Theres money wasted there, plus I work in the film and TV industry blowing time trying to work away from my desk while it crashes it’s a$$ off. 

With exchange rate it’s $30 here in Australia. And why shouldn’t expect it to work like Photoshop? Artstudio does and it’s $10 cheaper. They’re constantly making changes and updates with in weeks not months and months like here.

Youre obviously a tinkerer otherwise you’d know what the hell I’m talking about.

So pull your head in and stop playing the protective big sister.

4 minutes ago, Andych56 said:

Ok so let me get this right, your whining about me being a whiner? Lol

Yeah that’s right I’ve owned it for a year and tried to use it, with little success. I made the decision to buy an iPad based on how well Serif sold me on the idea of AP.

Theres money wasted there, plus I work in the film and TV industry blowing time trying to work away from my desk while it crashes it’s a$$ off. 

With exchange rate it’s $30 here in Australia. And why shouldn’t expect it to work like Photoshop? Artstudio does and it’s $10 cheaper. They’re constantly making changes and updates with in weeks not months and months like here.

Youre obviously a tinkerer otherwise you’d know what the hell I’m talking about.

So pull your head in and stop playing the protective big sister.

But, if you were a real Pro on the graphic area, why trust an iPad and a 20 US$ graphic app?

Affinitys product is awesome in my opinion, but, for you’re request and demand outside you’re office, would it be better with a used MS Surface Pro 4 with i5 (8GB/256GB) for 700 dollar and Affinity Photo/Designer for Windows?

If you’re main goal for iPad i the graphical/print area, we’re not there yet...

11 minutes ago, ErrkaPetti said:

But, if you were a real Pro on the graphic area, why trust an iPad and a 20 US$ graphic app?

Affinitys product is awesome in my opinion, but, for you’re request and demand outside you’re office, would it be better with a used MS Surface Pro 4 with i5 (8GB/256GB) for 700 dollar and Affinity Photo/Designer for Windows?

If you’re main goal for iPad i the graphical/print area, we’re not there yet...

No I wouldn’t bother with the Surface Pro. The other option I had was the Wacom Studio Pro which was 3.5K at the time but decided not pay that, instead i went with the iPad. I regretted  my decision everyday until I discovered Artstudio. There are many great painting apps out there, I like the photoshop workflow which is what I’m used but I only need it for scratching up ideas and having the option later to take it further if need be. AP is not a concept artist/matte painters (no print work) tool but I’ve hung in there like you and waited for improvements so I could rely on it.

On the desktop version it’s better, stable an I love the workflow of the interface but still the brush engine needs a lot of love.

Im sure it’ll get there in time, I’m just over it waiting for that to happen.

Andy, are you saying Artstudio Pro is as good as Photoshop? I may give it a 'look see' while waiting for Affinity to address some of the current bugs in Photo and Designer. I don't use any of these apps for 'Pro' use, just a hobbyist, so I'm not too fussed about current brushes. I do like to repair 'old' photos though and AP does this very nicely. I do think that after 12 months you may be pushing the proverbial in getting a refund. You'll be dealing with Apple, not Harvey Norman, good luck with that. :D

IPad Pro 10.5/512GB iOS 12.4. Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 Affinity Design 1.7.2.6 Publisher for iPad ?

46 minutes ago, DM1 said:

Andy, are you saying Artstudio Pro is as good as Photoshop? I may give it a 'look see' while waiting for Affinity to address some of the current bugs in Photo and Designer. I don't use any of these apps for 'Pro' use, just a hobbyist, so I'm not too fussed about current brushes. I do like to repair 'old' photos though and AP does this very nicely. I do think that after 12 months you may be pushing the proverbial in getting a refund. You'll be dealing with Apple, not Harvey Norman, good luck with that. :D

Lol yeah you might be right. I’m probably still a little connected with AP after all this time, I’m still curious to know when the updates come if things have improved so I may hang onto it. Plus it’s a bit stingy of me to try get my $30 back. 

However, at the risk of looking like one of those guys who is trying to turn uses away from AP, yes it’s just like PS. The layout and menus at the top are the same. You can import PS brushes in and the app never crashes. They’re constantly releasing updates with new features. And they welcome feedback and suggestions.

I hate to say it here, but I’m blown away by it.

So I feel this will be my last post as they will probably ditch my account off this forum lol

Good bye everyone

7 hours ago, Andych56 said:

Lol yeah you might be right. I’m probably still a little connected with AP after all this time, I’m still curious to know when the updates come if things have improved so I may hang onto it. Plus it’s a bit stingy of me to try get my $30 back. 

However, at the risk of looking like one of those guys who is trying to turn uses away from AP, yes it’s just like PS. The layout and menus at the top are the same. You can import PS brushes in and the app never crashes. They’re constantly releasing updates with new features. And they welcome feedback and suggestions.

I hate to say it here, but I’m blown away by it.

So I feel this will be my last post as they will probably ditch my account off this forum lol

Good bye everyone

I have been using ArtStudio Pro earlier, but, the brushengine there was too slow for my taste (if we compare to AP and Procreate)...

But, you’re right on one thing, and that’s Artstudios feeling and look (Photoshop-lookalike)!

I have been invited to test the beta of Artstudio Pro version 2.0, but have not give it the time yet...

I know where Andy is coming from, here.... [ BTW, he's an amazing pro in a bunch of fields one wouldn't even dare to imagine].  I can't say I'd agree with the refund part, but he has tried harder than many (I left that area in stand-by till I see certain updates, and I can wait for ever, I'm patient as heck, as I have many apps in my arsenal, free and purchased, and those get me well covered, not an issue for me (ie, digital paint and inking tools). I have this philosophy of using every single app I have, ONLY for what they are fully ready for, at the very moment. And there, that's how u get a happy camper ;), zero frustration with any company  :D   ) , more than most of us in terms of trying to make serious illustration work with AP.    Of course, AP was not thought for illustration from the beginning, IMO, was and is an app thought for photography (surely to grab market from LR + PS, the Photography plan, unhappy ppl from subscription models, which is a large bunch of people over the world, etc) and general image editing, but there's stuff that would benefit drastically photo retouch tasks and even other tools if share some painting code (I have seen recently a bunch of complaints photo-retouch related, which imo, are inheriting these issues). This is the reason (and because people who paint and draw needing ps-like tools, that's a large group, too) why I do think that those things (brush(lag, pressure..), color picker, liquify, image trembling, painting in zoomed-out,etc) will get better over time, bit by bit, after #1 priorities get done. But I'm playing a guess game in which I could be radically wrong. So, my post has exactly zero value :D 

All in all, for me, my own use, AP is an excellent image editor for any other purpose (and so, an amazing bargain for the price). With AD, I don't need anything else for vectors (for my usual workflows). But consider a very different focus, maybe Andy's. Trusting on AP being a better-than-PS approach for his style of illustration (solid pro concept artist for the industry, among quite other pro suits), with fresher ideas, takes and implementations than PS, which he could use in an iPad on the move, maybe have it in a non connected device for many months, not needing to worry about the several cloud issues, etc. Is surely someone with zero issues to have a CC subscription. I mean, every case is different... I have to look for every freakin' dime... (lovely bills...)

BTW, even if slight OT, I'm not convinced about the portable options mentioned. Surface is nice, but the pen is not wacom, and it has a really unpleasant wobble until u activate some line stabilizer (this happens even more with MS's uber expensive Studio desktop with its swimming pool sized screen, pen-screen tech issue), compared to other options. The wacom studio is known to have certain issues. I wouldn't take the risk, less for that kindda money ( I can easily buy 3 desktop ryzen stations with that....). The surface just as a laptop, yeah, but again, too pricey just for that, and definitely not fond of tiny screens (yeah, so neither the ipad's). I'd rather go with a cheapo (second hand sandy bridge or so, i5 or even i3, pc windows) 17 inches laptop and a wacom medium, XP-PEN Deco03 (actually  same or larger active area, 100 bucks, that's the cost of the ipad pencil) and put it in a bag. Have done so, and was happy for what it served... (18'3 inches laptop, actually.) But being the one carrying a 20 kg (or whatever. The heaviest CRT I've ever lifted) CRT on the back seat  (+tower+wacom intuos1+tape backup+printer..) of my car every weekend , 3 hours trip over the country side by dusty roads, and having no issue with that (now that I remember, also carrying under my arm in the bus, like twice a week, often, a mini-tower, and call that my "portable", between my flat and the job -quite far- I was at years ago)... i mean, am the worst user target for the tablet companies xDDD . And they say the desktop is coming back, in sales.... who'd have said that...

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.  Wacom Intuos 4 XL.

8 hours ago, ErrkaPetti said:

I have been using ArtStudio Pro earlier, but, the brushengine there was too slow for my taste (if we compare to AP and Procreate)...

But, you’re right on one thing, and that’s Artstudios feeling and look (Photoshop-lookalike)!

I have been invited to test the beta of Artstudio Pro version 2.0, but have not give it the time yet...

I'm sure ASP was slower in an earlier version but I now consider it to be one of the best painting apps out there.

AP has definitely improved its brush engine in the last update but as you can see from my vid above that is just one area that needs fixing.

Go try ASP 2.0 and you'll see the difference for yourself.

Oh and one other good thing about ASP, they've allowed other stylus pens to be used.

4 hours ago, SrPx said:

I know where Andy is coming from, here.... [ BTW, he's an amazing pro in a bunch of fields one wouldn't even dare to imagine].  I can't say I'd agree with the refund part, but he has tried harder than many (I left that area in stand-by till I see certain updates, and I can wait for ever, I'm patient as heck, as I have many apps in my arsenal, free and purchased, and those get me well covered, not an issue for me (ie, digital paint and inking tools). I have this philosophy of using every single app I have, ONLY for what they are fully ready for, at the very moment. And there, that's how u get a happy camper ;), zero frustration with any company  :D   ) , more than most of us in terms of trying to make serious illustration work with AP.    Of course, AP was not thought for illustration from the beginning, IMO, was and is an app thought for photography (surely to grab market from LR + PS, the Photography plan, unhappy ppl from subscription models, which is a large bunch of people over the world, etc) and general image editing, but there's stuff that would benefit drastically photo retouch tasks and even other tools if share some painting code (I have seen recently a bunch of complaints photo-retouch related, which imo, are inheriting these issues). This is the reason (and because people who paint and draw needing ps-like tools, that's a large group, too) why I do think that those things (brush(lag, pressure..), color picker, liquify, image trembling, painting in zoomed-out,etc) will get better over time, bit by bit, after #1 priorities get done. But I'm playing a guess game in which I could be radically wrong. So, my post has exactly zero value :D 

All in all, for me, my own use, AP is an excellent image editor for any other purpose (and so, an amazing bargain for the price). With AD, I don't need anything else for vectors (for my usual workflows). But consider a very different focus, maybe Andy's. Trusting on AP being a better-than-PS approach for his style of illustration (solid pro concept artist for the industry, among quite other pro suits), with fresher ideas, takes and implementations than PS, which he could use in an iPad on the move, maybe have it in a non connected device for many months, not needing to worry about the several cloud issues, etc. Is surely someone with zero issues to have a CC subscription. I mean, every case is different... I have to look for every freakin' dime... (lovely bills...)

BTW, even if slight OT, I'm not convinced about the portable options mentioned. Surface is nice, but the pen is not wacom, and it has a really unpleasant wobble until u activate some line stabilizer (this happens even more with MS's uber expensive Studio desktop with its swimming pool sized screen, pen-screen tech issue), compared to other options. The wacom studio is known to have certain issues. I wouldn't take the risk, less for that kindda money ( I can easily buy 3 desktop ryzen stations with that....). The surface just as a laptop, yeah, but again, too pricey just for that, and definitely not fond of tiny screens (yeah, so neither the ipad's). I'd rather go with a cheapo (second hand sandy bridge or so, i5 or even i3, pc windows) 17 inches laptop and a wacom medium, XP-PEN Deco03 (actually  same or larger active area, 100 bucks, that's the cost of the ipad pencil) and put it in a bag. Have done so, and was happy for what it served... (18'3 inches laptop, actually.) But being the one carrying a 20 kg (or whatever. The heaviest CRT I've ever lifted) CRT on the back seat  (+tower+wacom intuos1+tape backup+printer..) of my car every weekend , 3 hours trip over the country side by dusty roads, and having no issue with that (now that I remember, also carrying under my arm in the bus, like twice a week, often, a mini-tower, and call that my "portable", between my flat and the job -quite far- I was at years ago)... i mean, am the worst user target for the tablet companies xDDD . And they say the desktop is coming back, in sales.... who'd have said that...

Thanks for the kind words. I value your opinion on tech and agree with you on all you've said except for riding on the bus with a mini-tower. What were you thinking that's some crazy dedication right there. lol Nice one!

The whole company used to laugh at that (specially when I called it my "laptop" or "my portable")..... but was quite a small core i5 mini tower (I have long arms...)... I guess about 10 kgs as much.... :D . Long., but thin enough that my finger tips would barely reach the bottom... so... I .... "could " carry it... :S  (unable to do that with a full tower, am only 1.80 mtrs, tho compensated with the long monkey arms)

Problem was, I had to cross a big portion of the city by bus, and a portion was by walk xD 

At the end of the day once finally leaving the freakin' thing at home, I used to feel one entire side of my body like much lighter (like floating, but only one half) than the other, lol....

To get motivation, every two blocks or so walked I'd just visualize in my mind the cost of a new laptop. It puts super human strength in your arms..... :D