You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have a new document with a single page (front cover) followed by two page spreads (facing) and end with a single page (back cover). How do I create a front and back cover with a perfect bound spine and get rid of the single pages? Similar to creating an inside spread except its for the cover. Missing feature or is it normally like this?

I know the width of the spine. So my work around is to double the single page width and add the width of the spine in the Spread Setup. Is this the right way to do it for printing?

UPDATED Sept 17, 2018:

My understanding now is to create two files. One for the cover and one for inside spreads.

The cover will consist of a singular page but custom formatted to include spine width. The right side of the page will be the front cover and the left side of the page will be the back cover.

As for the inside spreads, the first single page is considered as page 1 on the right side when it is opened. For a magazine the inside of the front cover and the right side is sometime consider as a spread or page 1 and 2.

Printninja consider the first page is the right side when you open the cover but that's for book printing.

The only way at the moment is to use guides but this is not a good way to do it. At present, publisher will not allow you to create more than a two page spread and have the functionality to change individual page widths. I have raised this issue, and it is an important issue but, and I might be wrong but here but Serifs response was not encouraging and there has not been any acknowledgement that this is considered an essential function. So for now I’m afraid it’s guides, guides guides.

Surely they will add the ability to have single pages that will butt up to each other, it's such an easy way to work for doing book covers, multifold leaflets, even manually paginating a document which is the usual request from cd manufacturers for a cd booklets - the guides workaround just isn't flexible enough, what happens if a client changes the weight of the paper stock for a book? it's just a couple of clicks away to widen the spine, whereas the single page guide method means moving all the items on the page 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Dazmondo77, I have pointed this issue of page tab functionality, or lack of it a number of times to Serif and I haven’t yet had a reply that acknowledges that it is an issue only that it might be something they might add in a future update. I said then and I’ll say again, Publisher should not have been released yet in beta form or anything else as it is way too raw for any self respecting creative designer to use. I personally think this may have had a very negative effect on the professional community. This was as I understand it where Serif were supposed to be aiming Their Affinity software at and I don’t think this messy piece of software has done anything great for their street credibility.

I did have high hopes for this addition to the suite but it looks like it will be a long time before I will be able to adopt Publisher into my professional workflow. I think Adobe may well be laughing their heads off!!

I would say this to Serif, again, go back to the drawing board and start consulting with professional design agencies and freelance designers to get a real world view of your software. You should never have put this out as a general public beta yet.

On 9/14/2018 at 3:56 PM, wyenphoto said:

I have a new document with a single page (front cover) followed by two page spreads (facing) and end with a single page (back cover). How do I create a front and back cover with a perfect bound spine and get rid of the single pages? Similar to creating an inside spread except its for the cover. Missing feature or is it normally like this?

I know the width of the spine. So my work around is to double the single page width and add the width of the spine in the Spread Setup. Is this the right way to do it for printing?

I have printed several perfect bound books using CreateSpace, and I normally keep the internal pages as a single PDF, and the cover (page size *2 + spine + bleeds) as a separate PDF (oftentimes   cover in Illustrator or Photoshop -now AP or AD), and do the internals in InDesign with facing pages printed out to single pages in the PDF. 

Not sure if that helps - I haven’t normally put the cover in the same file as the internals.

On 9/15/2018 at 9:10 AM, dpeters911 said:

Have you tried applying a master page style for the first and last page (i.e. exterior cover) of the document that adds the additional gutter needed for the binding? You'd probably want to create a second master page for the interior, if any text is on the interior side of the cover.

Yes, but not the last page. 

On 9/16/2018 at 1:36 PM, Raymondo said:

Dazmondo77, I have pointed this issue of page tab functionality, or lack of it a number of times to Serif and I haven’t yet had a reply that acknowledges that it is an issue only that it might be something they might add in a future update. I said then and I’ll say again, Publisher should not have been released yet in beta form or anything else as it is way too raw for any self respecting creative designer to use. I personally think this may have had a very negative effect on the professional community. This was as I understand it where Serif were supposed to be aiming Their Affinity software at and I don’t think this messy piece of software has done anything great for their street credibility.

I did have high hopes for this addition to the suite but it looks like it will be a long time before I will be able to adopt Publisher into my professional workflow. I think Adobe may well be laughing their heads off!!

I would say this to Serif, again, go back to the drawing board and start consulting with professional design agencies and freelance designers to get a real world view of your software. You should never have put this out as a general public beta yet.

Such a bummer. I hope that's not the case.

On 9/14/2018 at 10:56 PM, wyenphoto said:

UPDATED Sept 17, 2018:

My understanding now is to create two files. One for the cover and one for inside spreads.

The cover will consist of a singular page but custom formatted to include spine width. The right side of the page will be the front cover and the left side of the page will be the back cover.

As for the inside spreads, the first single page is considered as page 1 on the right side when it is opened. For a magazine the inside of the front cover and the right side is sometime consider as a spread or page 1 and 2.

Printninja consider the first page is the right side when you open the cover but that's for book printing.

Typically for a book cover with a spine I would have a separate file. 

Yes, the only way to do it in Publisher at the moment is by creating a document at the size of the overall size and also including spine width. 

For example, if it's 210mm wide, with a 10mm spine - then it's 210+10+210 = 430 mm wide. 

Add 2 columns and make the column width 10mm. 

That's pretty much how every book cover was designed and sent to printers up to when InDesign allowed multiple page sizes. 

On 9/15/2018 at 12:30 PM, Raymondo said:

The only way at the moment is to use guides but this is not a good way to do it. At present, publisher will not allow you to create more than a two page spread and have the functionality to change individual page widths. I have raised this issue, and it is an important issue but, and I might be wrong but here but Serifs response was not encouraging and there has not been any acknowledgement that this is considered an essential function. So for now I’m afraid it’s guides, guides guides.

Just because you don't agree with a way to do it is no reason to spread misinformation. Creating a book cover prior to InDesigns multi-page size feature was not cumbersome at all, it was a fairly standard way of creating it. 

People often sent in a front, back and spine PDF file. Nothing wrong with that either. There's many ways to do it. And just because you're used to a certain way of something working doesn't make other ways "not a good way to do it". 

I get that you're disappointed this feature is not in Publisher - but write concise posts and push for the change in positive ways. 

Correct, Publisher will not allow you to create a 2 page spread - it's a bit of an oversight by Publisher - actually it's a huge oversight. 

Yes that was how it used to be done but it was always subject to possible errors but setting out with InDesign has been a much more straight forward, quicker and safer way to do it. I'm not sure where you get this "misinformation" cheap jibe from, I think you must be watching too many Russian spy films!!!. What I have said is completely correct, I have not mislead the originator of this thread, using guides IS the only way to mark out a template at the present time and yes, I have not had any response from Serif on this issue to say this an oversight which will be rectified soon or before commercial launch, it might have allayed some of the negativity. I have always been very supportive of Serif and the Affinity range up until now and I have always given positive feedback but I feel that they are losing their way abit and throwing things out too soon without proper consultation with the professional community which to me seems to be the case with Publisher as there are so many glaring omissions that should have been there on release of the first beta. This topic is something that has been raised by a number of others in this forum which seems to concur with my views. Maybe you have time on your hands to lay designs out the old way but I do not in an ever faster moving design environment. Don't bother replying, I think we need to leave things right here. I won't be revisiting this thread as I have said all I need to on this issue.

This sort of thing can be done in Affinity Designer, meaning: back cover + spine + front cover joined together.

When Designer enters 1.7 beta timeframe I suspect it will have a host of new features inherited from Publisher including visible bleeds and will become even more suitable for book cover design.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Or you can use a document for the cover with 3 pages, since they can have different widths, page 2 being the spine.

If you need to present them as one, you create another document — or create a 4th page with full width — ,export as PDF and import/place this one, the 3 pages next each other before exporting again as PDF.

You'll have to adjust the 4th page (or 2d document) if you need to do another "1 page" PDF for review, but it's easier with alignment options and resizing 1 page.

2018-09-19_005936.thumb.png.921f198d217cb6c6213e8b907add7084.png

7 hours ago, Raymondo said:

Yes that was how it used to be done but it was always subject to possible errors but setting out with InDesign has been a much more straight forward, quicker and safer way to do it. I'm not sure where you get this "misinformation" cheap jibe from, I think you must be watching too many Russian spy films!!!. What I have said is completely correct, I have not mislead the originator of this thread, using guides IS the only way to mark out a template at the present time and yes, I have not had any response from Serif on this issue to say this an oversight which will be rectified soon or before commercial launch, it might have allayed some of the negativity. I have always been very supportive of Serif and the Affinity range up until now and I have always given positive feedback but I feel that they are losing their way abit and throwing things out too soon without proper consultation with the professional community which to me seems to be the case with Publisher as there are so many glaring omissions that should have been there on release of the first beta. This topic is something that has been raised by a number of others in this forum which seems to concur with my views. Maybe you have time on your hands to lay designs out the old way but I do not in an ever faster moving design environment. Don't bother replying, I think we need to leave things right here. I won't be revisiting this thread as I have said all I need to on this issue.

I agree with you - it needs to be added. 

But you can't make claims that it's not safe and it's not quick. That's misinformation. 

Yes - inDesigns feature is good - but it's not great. There's switches you need to flick in InDesign to get this to work. 

Affinity could make this better.